I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Guide Spacing 'Observation'
Posted by: Paul O (---.dialup.umn.edu)
Date: September 12, 2001 05:47PM

Hi,

I've read a few books and about every posting on this site, and from what I gather when asking for 'guide spacing' instead of asking like this: ' I have a 7 foot casting rod, where should i put the guides', I should ask like this: 'I have an Abu Garcia Ambassador series reel and my last guide will be a size 12 low profile guide, how far apart should they be?' then use a static test to place the remander of the guides.

Am I messed up in my thinking here?

Just thinking out loud.

Paul O

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Guide Spacing 'Observation'
Posted by: allen (---.ucc.usyd.edu.au)
Date: September 12, 2001 08:21PM

not at all but I think your only halfway there

the stripper guide size is dependant on reel type but stripper position also has to take into account the rods action and uses.

take a big diameter reel like a penn750 no point in trying to push the big loops that come off that spool through a size 25 guide especially if its mounted close to the reel. butt length also plays a small part but Ill just confuse the issue to much if I add my theories on that.

I feel the fundamental placement of the stripper guide is more important for the rods action and use. If its mounded too high up the blank you loose power, becomes sloppy, slaps and puts the rod at risk of breakage. but if you position it to close then you choke too much and make it lumpy to retrieve. That and the fact that writers dont know what type of reel is going to be used is why most recipes usually give you just spacings

The best rods are built with a specific reel in mind so they can get all the sizes and position right for the customer, his uses and his reel so your post is quite a valid question. but I feel a simple rule of thumb which most writers would have to use is placement for the rod, guide size for the reel.

hope my theories help but im sure other equally valid responses may say diferently.

Allen Glover
[www.shearwaterrods.com.au]

Posted by: Pete (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: September 12, 2001 09:17PM

I don't think you can expect a good answer from anyone when asking where the guides should go. Only you are able to determine that because it depends on your particular blank, the reel you plan to use and how long and what type handle you construct. A person that doesn't have your blank, your reel and your handle in front of them cannot answer that question for you. It would be like asking someone what your temperature is. How could they know?

The best way I have found to do this is to take the time to learn how to place guides on any rod. That way, you never have to ask, you just do it from the knowledge you have. Get a copy of the book "Rod Building Guide" and read the short chapter on guide placement. After that you'll know where to place them. I am sure there are other books that also have similar information. Only takes a few minutes to read and understand and will save a lifetime of asking "where should I put the guides".

Posted by: Don Morton (---.localaccess.net)
Date: September 13, 2001 09:34AM

I will try to give you a starting point. First how are you going to place the guides, on top of the rod or use a spiral wrap. For rods stability you want to go with a spiral wrap. The placement of the butt guide serves two basic functions. First it starts the line toward the tip and second it is the guide that supports the most weight/pressure when the rod is fully flexed. A good rule of thumb is to move the guide toward the reel until the line is centered in the middle of the guide. To say I will use a given guide, may not be the best approach. As mentioned eariler a high frame reel may have to have a higher frame guide to allow for free line flow or a low frame reel may need a low frame guide for the same reason. Look at the placement of guide when the line is centered in it and ask this question, is the guide about right in terms of it's distance from the reel and also will it support the rod . Is the rod bending too much between the guide and the handle or not bending at all when fully flexed. All of these observations should be taken into consideration before picking a guide or placing it on the rod.

There are many ways to approach guide placement and guide spacing. Use any one that you like and apply th following criteria to determine if you have the best placement.
1. Does the line run straight or almost straight from the reel to the tip.
2. Does the line form as small an angle as possible with each guide when the rod is placed in any fishing postion.
3. Is the rod balanced when placed on the index finger of the hand holding the rod in a fishing position.
4. Is the rod stable (the rod does not twist when pressure is placed on the line)
5. The line only touches the top or bottom or each guide when in any fishing positon. (line never hits the side of the guide)
6. There is no line chatter during the cast. (line vibration between the guides)

If your set-up fulfills each of these criteria you are probably just about right.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster