I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Cork Reamers
Posted by: Michael Brundridge (---.austtx.swbell.net)
Date: September 11, 2001 10:36PM

You can spend a bunnh of money buying pre-made reamers. Or you can spend a couple of bucks and make 3 of them yourself. I buy the 80-grit sanding belts for a table top belt sander, you get 3 of them for a couple of bucks. I then cut up a broke blank put epoxy on both ends, and run a small bead of epoxy down the center. I then cut the sanding belt where it is bonded together, tape it one end and start to wrap it around the blank, then tape it at the other end. They last ten times longer than those reamers that are made from silican sand glued to a blank.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Cork Reamers
Posted by: Andy (---.umacs.net)
Date: September 12, 2001 07:53AM

I've been doing this for some time and it makes great reamers. I cut the sanding belt into strips about 3/4" wide and spiral these strips up the blank.

Andy

Posted by: Michael Brundridge (---.us.dell.com)
Date: September 12, 2001 07:13PM

The belts I am buying are probably about 1/2" to 3/4" wide to start with. These are the belts for the small table top vertical sanding belt machines that most people use for hobby projects. They sure make a great reamer, and seem to last forever

Posted by: allen (---.ucc.usyd.edu.au)
Date: September 12, 2001 08:38PM

Im trying to find out what the stuff is they use on razor wands
looks supiciously like a non slip deck coating. so if thats the case Ill just buy a tin and dip them when I need them.
anyone got any clues as to what type of coating it is??

allen

Cutting grit
Posted by: Pete (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: September 12, 2001 09:45PM

I have seen it used in ashtrays in hotels. I think you can buy it at restaurant or hotel supply stores. They also sell it at some of the component supply houses.

Re: Cutting grit
Posted by: Bob McKamey (64.53.115.---)
Date: September 13, 2001 11:03AM

It is silicon carbide grit. We carry the grit and also blank stock, to make your own reamers. We also have the Flex Coat Abrasive Strip material, which glues to a piece of blank or mandrel, for great reaming results.

Bob McKamey -- Custom Tackle Supply

Ashtray filler
Posted by: Mike B. (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: September 13, 2001 08:41PM

I was in a hotel not too long ago and saw the guy filling the ashtrays. I asked him about it and he gave me a bag with about 2 lbs of the stuff left in it. I have made a dozen reamers and still have lots left over. Works great and looks just the like the cutting grit I have bought from the component suppliers.

Re: Ashtray filler
Posted by: allen (---.ucc.usyd.edu.au)
Date: September 13, 2001 09:24PM

thanks for that guys will look into all the options.

allen

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster