I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pac-Bay parts....never again
Posted by: Steve (---.mobile1.al.home.com)
Date: September 11, 2001 01:59PM

I have bought two Pac-Bay chuck stands and two chucks. Both wobble very bad. No more Pac-Bay for me!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Pac-Bay parts....never again
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.dialinx.net)
Date: September 11, 2001 02:29PM

Steve,

That is unfortunate. I assume you have contacted Pac Bay and given them the opportunity to correct the situation.

Date: September 11, 2001 03:21PM

I'm not going to bother with it. I bought the stand & chuck to make my own wrapper so that would be their defense. Since I did make my own wrapper I thought it was my fault but after I got a new stand & chuck, I bolted the stand down, put the chuck on, put the belt on and press the pedal, I got wobble under no load at all. If I'd bought a Pac-Bay wrapper, then yes, they would be hearing from me. So, I will just use my hand wrapper and turn all of my cork grips on a lathe. BTW, the Delta Midi Lathe is a dream! This is a great little lathe.

Steve

Posted by: Bill OConnor (---.z216112040.bos-ma.dsl.cnc.net)
Date: September 11, 2001 03:52PM

I have a Pac-Bay power wrapping unit and have been fairly happy with it. it is not the same as the Renzetti or Clemens, but it is not bad. The only thing I would like to see changes is the thread carrage. I have had problems with the discs that the thread goes though. I am going to modify the thread carrage base and order the classic thread wrapper from Golden Witch. Winter project!
I did break a few large O rings in the beginning and Pac Bay was very responsive to my problem and sent a few.

Id give them a shout and see what they say. I am sure they will try to make you happy.

Bill

Without a chance to make right??
Posted by: Todd (---.vanc9.pacifier.com)
Date: September 11, 2001 04:04PM

Steve,

I would think before you make the statements that you have about quality that you first give the company a chance to right the wrong. There are always problems with retail products, 99% of the reputable companies will go far out of their way to correct these problems.
I would suggest that you give these guys at Pac Bay a call, I seriously doubt from my own relationship with them that they will not be satisfied until you are.

Todd

Re: Without a chance to make right??
Date: September 11, 2001 05:58PM

Bill, if Pac-Bay really wants to make me happy they can send me a free wrapper or at least extremely cheap.......LOL

Steve

Decent stuff
Posted by: Pete (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: September 11, 2001 06:31PM

I have a stand and chuck from Pac Bay and while I no longer use them they always worked fine for me. No complaints here.

Re: Decent stuff
Posted by: Andy (---.umacs.net)
Date: September 11, 2001 07:53PM

I purchased a wrapper from PacBay recently and had a wobble problem with the chuck. I phoned the service department and they sent me a new one; no charge, no questions asked. I received very friendly service. I agree with the comments Todd made- first give the manufacturer/ dealer a chance to make things right and if they don't then by all means let the rest of us know about a shoddy product or service.

Andy

Posted by: jnail (---.unitelc.com)
Date: September 11, 2001 09:32PM

I have built many rods on my pac-bay chuck built into my own wrapper.
the chuck works great! its my rollers that give me problems, but that is definitely my fault

Posted by: john bratton (---.eugene1.or.home.com)
Date: September 11, 2001 10:42PM

i have used a PCBAY for a long time the only problem i ever had was when i turned handles at high speed the top roller would jump PCBAY sent me some heavier springs problem solved. oh i did have a thing withe the thread carriage i would get thread twist but that is the nature of the typ tension devise they use.so i built a devise that puts the tension on the spool and it bolts right to the PCBAY thread carriage holds 2 spools of eather 100 yards or 1 oz spools works great. regards John Bratton

Posted by: Pat Majeski (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: September 11, 2001 11:48PM

I have a pac bay wrapper and for the price(cant afford the Renzetti)
cant beat it. Have wrapped forty or fifty rods over five years. love it

Posted by: Bill OConnor (---.z216112040.bos-ma.dsl.cnc.net)
Date: September 12, 2001 10:12AM

By the way,
I recieved my 2002 Pac Bay catalog in the mail on Tuesday. I had an email that the catalog request was recieved and I will have the catalog in the mail in a week. That was only three days ago!

Posted by: Mike Thompson (---.gso.bellsouth.net)
Date: September 12, 2001 02:24PM

Just wanted to know if anyone has had trouble with Pac Bay reel seats or guides I've been using them lately but not that long and havent had a failure . Havent seen a big differance in quality from fuji to pac bay and only pennies differance in price. Also just recieved 01 -02 blank catalog looks like there putting together a good blank program.Would just like to hear what some rodbuilders think about there products? Thanks in advance

Pac Bay
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.dialinx.net)
Date: September 12, 2001 03:05PM

Pacific Bay will be joining in as a sponsor of this site within a very short time and we look forward to having their direct participation on this board.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster