I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Finishing Composite Skinned Foam Grips
Posted by: Bill Falconer (12.184.218.---)
Date: January 15, 2008 10:35PM

Hey Gang-

Fantastic articles in the most recent RM as usual. That issue alone is worth a three year subscription.

I have a few questions before I get too deep into these composite skinned grips for those of you who have some experience with them. Specifically, Andy mentions in his article that he likes to twist the excess carbon fiber sleeve and push it into the bore of the grip with the eraser end of a pencil at the time he is doing the wet layup of the carbon fiber sleeve. My question is if the grip can then be reamed as you might normally ream a cork grip. I know the foam reams like butter but just not sure what to expect if I attempt to ream the cured composite skinned grip.

Also, when constructing a split grip for a casting rod with an NPS seat I would typically turn a tenon / shoulder on the grip. I'm assuming I'd be better served by skipping the tenon with a composite skinned grip since the exact diameter and getting a square shoulder may be tricky. Rather, I can have a square grip end and fill the cavity in the butt of the NPS with a foam or graphite arbor. Does that sound like the right approach?

I am using 4 lb, 6 lb, and 8lb urethane pour foam. My lay up resin is West Systems 207SA hardener with 105A resin. I hope these questions make sense. Any help appreciated. Thanks!

Bill

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Finishing Composite Skinned Foam Grips
Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: January 15, 2008 11:10PM

If you take the material that you are using for your tube covering, as it lies flat
(Don’t measure the end the weave is stretched out and you will not get an accurate measurement)
And measure it with calipers, divide that dimension in half.
Then cut your shoulder that much smaller then is needed to fit the reel seat; it will get you just about perfect to glue it up inside the reel seat.

Posted by: Bill Falconer (12.184.218.---)
Date: January 16, 2008 09:19AM

Steve-

That can't possibly work. That makes entirely too much sense!

Okay. I'll try it. What about reaming them - does the epoxied / layed up composite skin ream okay? I'm using both 100% carbon fiber sleeves and the hybrid carbon / fiberglass sleeves.

Thanks!

Bill

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: January 16, 2008 10:36AM

Don't know? I've reamed mine before putting on the skin. My concern would be that I would over ream the foam while reaming through the epoxy on the skin.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster