I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Cutting Fuji seats
Posted by: Billy 40 (---.dynamic.ziplink.net)
Date: September 08, 2001 08:04PM

Here I go again with my imagination. I'm thinking about cutting Fuji reel seats, getting rid of the barrel, and replacing it with a cork insert. Before you tell me about cap and rings being available, I'd like to do this with the trigger. I just ordered a Wiebe trigger, but I'm wondering if anyone has done this before.

What is the easiest method to cut the seat - masking tape as a guide, and a hacksaw? Or a cut off wheel? If possible, can you tell me what tooth per inch on the hacksaw or exactly which cutoff wheel ?grit? I should get.

Billy

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Cutting Fuji seats
Posted by: Pete (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: September 08, 2001 08:33PM

I have cut them on a metal lathe ala RodMaker's tips issue last year or so but have also used a hacksaw. Wrap some tape around the barrel for a straightedge and cut away. You have to clean up the edges and square them. Easy to do on a disc sander with table, or just file it or sand it down against some sandpaper laid on a flat surface. You can do about anything with the Fuji or similar type seats.

Re: Cutting Fuji seats
Posted by: Brad Tharp (---.kscable.com)
Date: September 09, 2001 09:35AM

Billy,

I have cut many a Fuji reel seats. Either to remove unused threads for no-foregrip rods or my latest R&D of making skeleton seats with a trigger. I don't use anything between the two pieces. Just expose more blank. I use a grinder to taper the inside edges for a cleaner transition to the blank but the seat must be a perfect fit to the blank. No tape or arbor build-up. You can cut the seats with a thin sharp knife or a hacksaw. I always under cut the size then grind and sand back to the tape lines. Many times the cut is crooked so I don't ruin the seat by cutting right at the tape.

Caution!
Posted by: Mike Bolt (---.50.55.78.rlgh.grid.net)
Date: September 09, 2001 11:24AM

Don't cut too much off the tube. Reel foot lengths vary and if you custom cut one to a specific length, another reel may not fit. Test the reel foot that you plan on using before you cut.

Re: Caution!
Date: September 09, 2001 01:25PM

Mike good point - I did this once already to a seat where I "custom fit" it to a specific reel. Now I'm stuck with this reel & rod combo whether I want to switch or not.

One wuestion I do have, is if I ever hook a fish, is it possible for the reel foot to dig into a regular cork insert? How about burl? Was going to try this on a saltwater rod to be used with a Calcutta 400, but I'm not sure of the long term effects.

Billy

Yeppers, actually......
Posted by: Mike Bolt (---.50.55.78.rlgh.grid.net)
Date: September 09, 2001 01:39PM

..I believe the foot will eventually compress the cork to match it and you may end up with a seat that you can't tighten.

I would only do what you are planning on an ultra light rod.

Re: Yeppers, actually......
Posted by: Bruce Young (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: September 09, 2001 02:44PM

If your reel does become loose after a certain time period, you can save the seat by placing a shim on the bottom side of the reel foot. You can use a piece of leather or even laminate various layers of masking tape until reaching the desired results. I have done this before and it will work fine when no other options are available.

Good luck,

Bruce Young
Landing Gear

Won't harm cork at all
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.dialinx.net)
Date: September 09, 2001 05:06PM

It won't cut into the cork because it doesn't sit on the cork. It sits on the threaded barrel on one end and the inner barrel of the hooded end. Take a look at the cover of the May/June 2000 RodMaker and you'll see what I mean.

Whatever you put between the seat sections is only there for looks, or weight. It does not come into play with reel mounting.

Re: Won't harm cork at all
Date: September 09, 2001 05:19PM

Thanks for the respones. I love how that seat looks, and I bet you saved a bit on weight too. The fact that the reel feet sit on the graphite barrels, implies I make the cork insert the right size so the feet sit where they are supposed to - lol.

THanks, BIlly

Sorry, now I see......
Posted by: Mike Bolt (---.50.54.250.mhub.grid.net)
Date: September 09, 2001 06:40PM

.......what he is doing. If it doesn't rest on the cork, it will probably be OK.

Re: Won't harm cork at all
Posted by: William (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: September 09, 2001 07:25PM

Right. As long as the insert you make is not larger in diameter than the original barrel, the reel doesn't touch it and it will never wear down. Good point. I might just try a seat with no center barrel at all!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster