I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Blank refinish and color/change
Posted by: William (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: June 21, 2001 09:23PM

I have a set of blanks that I want to refinish in a different color. I understand that I can lightly sand and then paint and then cover with some type of clear coat. Fine. But I wonder if this can be done in one step.

Here's my idea - Why not take some sort of colored pigment and mix it into the varithane or urethane or whatever and just apply that. I would think this would be fine unless the pigment would somehow undermine the curing of the finish.

So for those of you who have experience in this type of thing, what type of pigment and what type of topcoat do I want to use? Rit dye? Varithane? Urethane? Spar Varnish? Has anyone ever done anything like this before. I cannot believe that it won't work.

Also a quick thanks to those who make this board possible. This may be the very best info source for rod builders in existance. Where have all you sponsors been hiding before now!?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Blank refinish and color/change
Posted by: Tom (---.public.svc.webtv.net)
Date: June 22, 2001 12:39PM

I don't have an answer to your query but I do have a suggestion.

Go over to the "other" board and do a search on painting blanks. A couple of months (?) ago there was extensive discussion re. blank painting.

I don't know that the search will answer your question exactly but you will be exposed to some builders that really seem to know their stuff about finishes.

The Email addresses of the knowledgable builders will be there. Write them and I guarantee you will get a good answer.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.dialinx.net)
Date: June 22, 2001 01:02PM

William,

I have some thoughts I will share later this evening (busy working on the magazine right now). Ralph O'Quinn will likely chime in very soon and he would be the man to give you the definitve answer on this question.

Tom Kirkman
RodMaker Magazine

Posted by: John Bratton (---.eugene1.or.home.com)
Date: June 22, 2001 02:38PM

William i use Liquid Rit dye with Varithane works for me.another you can try is Hobby Poxy it is a 2 part part Poxy.i found that iv i use hobby poxy the best way to put it on the rod is with your finger.you don't get brush strokes.and you can add a Custom Metalizer if you want a metallic look.hope this helps Regards John

Posted by: Ralph O'Quinn (---.pstbbs.com)
Date: June 22, 2001 07:16PM

Several years ago I fell heir to a set of gel coat colors, there are 8 colors in 2oz glass jars. They are nothing more than the standard oil pigments found throughout the industry for gel coats on boats- various and sundry polyester and epoxy coatings on thousands of items from boats and skate boards to fishng rods. When I want to color a rod, usually duplicate an existing color after the rod is repaired. I simply mix a tooth pick size morsel of red with a toothpick size morsel of yellow and stir, then maybe throw in a speck of green - or whatever until it looks like something digestible. Then I pour out a dab of Permagloss - which is a moisture curing Urethane- and start adding toothpick size morsels of my color until it looks good. I brush it onto a scrap piece, maybe add some color and VOILA brush it on the rod and nobody is ever the wiser. This will work for just about any Urethane you can think of - Permagloss will be the hardest to work with because it cures the fastest. Pour out a thimble of Permagloss and you only have about an hour to complete the job. These oil base pigments are available in automotive shops, hobby shops etc. You even see them for sale in hardware and home improvement stores. Whenever you want white --simply use pure Titanium Dioxide, available in any paint store. An ounce will last you about a thousand years. I would love to package colored Permagloss, but that is impossible due to the moisture induced into the Polymer by the pigment. There are all kinds of fancy colors out there now, metallics and other real weirdo's , check the hobby shops and the automotove shops they keep up on those things. I have been using the same kit of colors for about 20 years, and there must be at least another 20 years in the same kit. If you don't like your epoxy thread coatings nice and clear, add the same colors to your epoxy and it will do the same job

Ralph

Date: June 22, 2001 08:24PM

Wow! I never knew this was something that somebody had already figured out! Thank you, thank you, thank you. This will eliminate the process of having to paint the blank and then come back and clear coat it.

I am not sure about the ratio of color to Permagloss exactly, but think you are saying to add just enough to color the urethane. Correct? So what I have is really mostly just urethane but enough color to be opaque.

Thanks again. Great information that has opened up a lot of possibilities for rods I have in mind. I'll be sure and report back and let you know how it works out. I may try some scrap blank pieces first.

Thank you all for this board.

Date: June 22, 2001 08:28PM

Wow! I never knew this was something that somebody had already figured out! Thank you, thank you, thank you. This will eliminate the process of having to paint the blank and then come back and clear coat it.

I am not sure about the ratio of color to Permagloss exactly, but think you are saying to add just enough to color the urethane. Correct? So what I have is really mostly just urethane but enough color to be opaque.

Thanks again. Great information that has opened up a lot of possibilities for rods I have in mind. I'll be sure and report back and let you know how it works out. I may try some scrap blank pieces first.

Thank you all for this board.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster