I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Power Wrapper R.P.M. ?
Posted by: Rick Marsters (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: August 12, 2007 04:12PM

Hello ,
Thank you for taking the time to read this post.
Could you tell me what you feel is a good R.P.M. speed for a power wrapper or what the usual R.P.M.'s for a power wrapper are. Also, is a variable speed foot pedal required ?
Thank you.
Rick

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Power Wrapper R.P.M. ?
Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: August 12, 2007 04:20PM

Not sure what rmps most people use. But I have PacBay brand with variable speed control built on it

. What I suggest doing is to use it slow and as you get more proficient with it adjust it up a little at a time and after each speed increase when you gotten comfortable with it increase again until you find the best working speed for you

Posted by: Mark Ganrude (---.odec.com)
Date: August 13, 2007 09:06AM

Variable speed will allow you to use faster speeds on simple wraps and slow speed on more difficult wraps.

While variable speed is not a requirement it is a good idea.

Posted by: Sean Cheaney (---.39.100.97.cfl.res.rr.com)
Date: August 13, 2007 09:34AM

I use a foot pedal with a delicate toe. Thats only what works for me however.

What do you guys mean by variable speed, are you talking about single speed motor connected to a foot pedal or the motor itself has more than one speed and you have some sort of toggle switch and still use the foot pedal?

Rick, in any case, I sent you an email.

Posted by: Mark Ganrude (---.odec.com)
Date: August 13, 2007 11:38AM

variable speed-

my AMTAK wrapper has dual controls the foot controller - farther down you press faster it goes- and a speed control near the motor- to control the max speed generated by the foot control at max setting.

lower settings of the speed control by the motor allow for easier control with the foot control- hope that makes sense- easier to demonstarte than explain I guess.

Posted by: Sean Cheaney (---.39.100.97.cfl.res.rr.com)
Date: August 14, 2007 07:43AM

Makes perfect sense to me. I wasnt sure if thats what you meant or not. I guess I have a really nice foot pedal as I can go really slow to all the way up to full speed (which I will not wrap a rod with). I do need a motor with more torque as my current one is sluggish and needs a little help when it comes to heavier trolling and bottom rods of which I build a lot of.

Sean

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: August 18, 2007 02:10PM

Rick,
I have tried many different maxium speeds for a power wrapper.
I have used variable speed motors of different sorts and different belt ratios to try to optimize the speed.
The speed that I have finally settled on is 300 rpm.

i.e. if I have m y speed control running at top motor rpm, my rod blank will be spinning at 300 rpm.
I will use this speed after I have a butt wrap started and am running down the blank with the thread. Obviously, when starting a thread, you are turning it in fractions of rpm - starting and stopping to get it just right.

I tried various combinations of ac motors, sewing machine motors, gear drive motors etc.

The wrappers that I have now designed and built use 24 volt dc gear motors that have an output speed at 24 volts = 350 rpm.
Then, I use one to one pulleys to drive my chuck which hold and drives my blank.
I use a 0-24 volt dc power supply that is controlled by a variable resistor in a foot pedal. Completly silent and excellent control. Since the motor is DC, it will run equally well in either direction. One simply has to reverse the leads going to the motor to reverse its direction.
So, I incorporated a double pole double throw rocker switch to reverse the voltage polarity at the flip of a switch.
This allows me to easily back up the motor to correct a mistake.

Since, the motor is gear driven with a 500-1 reduction ratio in the gears, it is very difficult to back up the rod with no power applied to the motor.

------------
The next best wrapper that I made was to use one of the Dayton - right angle gear motors using 110V ac input. This motor comes in various output rpms and has 4 wires coming from the motor to allow one to reverse the direction of the motor by flipping the reference of brushes to armature settings. These motors are very very strong motors with large 1/2 inch shafts coming off the final drives. By finding them at surplus they are readily available at a decent price. If you pay new price for these motors they run about $300 for the motor.
Again, I use a common AC foot pedal speed control to vary the AC power to the motor to effectively change the speed. The only downside to these motors and is the reason that I am not currently using them is noise. The right angle gears are quite noisy and are irritating after hours of wrapping.

However, these motors still have a good use, since they are virtually unstoppable and I use them in some of my glue layups when I want a positive rotation of the rods - even if I have them under some pressure.
These are also useful for turning work, except that the speeds are typically too slow for any kind of effective lathe work.

Summary -
Go with a final top speed of 300 rpm, with an excellent 0-5 rpm speed and have the ability to reverse the rod under power and keep the noise down and you will be very happy with your power wrapper.

Take care
Roger

Posted by: John Wright (---.om.om.cox.net)
Date: December 16, 2018 09:46AM

Roger,

Have you considered stepper motors? I get them from a surplus store that salvages old printers and copiers. They are very flexible and relatively quiet. I especially like the ability to stop and lock the motor at a specific place. I can also set them up to rotate a specific number of degrees then stop and hold, great for things like chevron wraps. Of course easily reversed etc. They do require a microcontroller and a motor driver, but for about $10 you can get everything you need to get them going including a foot control with a 10K pot.

I agree on the 300 RPM. That has always seemed compfortable for me.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster