I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Flex Coat Lite vs. High Build
Posted by: Marc Morrone (---.chi01.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: May 22, 2007 10:31AM

I have pretty much settled on Flex Coat High Build, using two thinner coats. As long as I am two coating, would the Lite finish be any better, or is there much difference? I do sometimes use CP on guide wraps.

Thanks,
Marc

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Flex Coat Lite vs. High Build
Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: May 22, 2007 10:51AM

Both porducts are fine - your technique will determine the thickness. If you use the high build and want to use two coats then apply a little more brush pressure on the first coat and wick any excess off. If you apply it correctly for two coat operations the thread pattern can be seen after the first coat is applied. Lite better? All depends on what kind of rods and you. A size Gudebrod thread on fly rods would probably work better with light versions.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/22/2007 11:03AM by Bill Stevens.

Posted by: J.B. Hunt (---.dsl.logantele.com)
Date: May 22, 2007 12:11PM

I agree with Bill 100%. I use nothing but High Build and can make it look like Lite. Depends on your application technique.

Posted by: Bill Moschler (---.ag.utk.edu)
Date: May 22, 2007 02:07PM

I have used both. The only advantage I see to the lite is that it fills the guide tunnels through the threads easier. I think I get a little better final finish with the regular build, so I tend to use that now and do like Bill suggested and brush it out thin. And give it time to soak through to the tunnels.

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.rb2.gh.centurytel.net)
Date: May 22, 2007 02:41PM

I also use high a build. When I desire a thin look, I flame the finish and wick off the excess from the bottom while the rod is turning. I believe by flaming and wicking you eliminate foot balls and the finish well wick into the tunnels and fill that gap.
Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: Dave Loren (---.prov.east.verizon.net)
Date: May 22, 2007 08:49PM

I got rid of my Flex Coat products And ise nothing but Thread Master now. Best stuff on the market as far as I'm concerned.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: May 22, 2007 09:07PM

I'm with Dave, They're all good, but Threadmaster Rules!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: May 22, 2007 11:10PM

Flex Coat regular or high-build will do just about anything the lite version will, but the lite will not do what the heavy version will. At least not unless you use a lot more applications.

The difference you're going to find is that the Lite version won't allow you to apply very heavy applications without undue sagging. You really have to apply it "lite" unlike the high build version which will support more of itself per application.

At some point in time you should probably just try a couple bottles of the Lite in order to satisfy your curiousity. Both are excellent finishes and used by more commercial rod companies than any other. Which one is best for you is really just a matter of which one you find easiest to use.

Posted by: LY Chua (80.227.59.---)
Date: May 23, 2007 05:27AM

Almost the same question in my mind!

I recently use a combination of lite and regular as finishing coat.

The lite coat while coated thin soaks into the crevices of the guide foot and so forth.
When it comes to butt wrap, it will coat over but will not form a layer over the threads.

On one hand it eliminates the formation of bubbles, (although it can be remove by using a alcohol torch)
but upon application of second coat with regular epoxy wrapping finish, the undulation surface can still be seen, and this requires a very thick coat over the lite coat.

The epoxy will self level out on a flat surface, while rotating it forms a lump at the end of the flow due to the visciousity of the fluid.
While still in rotation, I find it hard to touch up using a brush that will 'scar' the levelled surface. The surface is repeated and touch up with an alcohol lamp thereafter.

While on the guides, the application is lite first then regular, on the butt wrap is regular first then lite? (I have yet to try out using lite first then regular on butt wraps).
But will report shortly on the outcome. If any other gentlemen have tried this, could you point the directions toward a better combination.

I find regular friendlier as they are of higher visciousity and handling is not as tedious, while keeping rotation, at the same time coating the rod.
Or I should dump the lite and just use regular altogether, this is the first time I am using the lite version, though it was available a long time ago.

Gentlemen! can I have your input on the above....

Cheers

LY Chua

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/23/2007 10:40PM by LY Chua.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: May 23, 2007 08:51AM

I only use the regular, but I apply my epoxy in mere seconds so it's not extremely thick while I'm making the application. If you take a long time to apply your epoxy, then you might be better off sticking to the method you have now, provided you're getting good results with it.

Posted by: Henry Engle (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: May 23, 2007 08:54AM

I use the lite on anything that is going to have alot of air coming out of it for a length of time. For instance my butt wraps leach air for a while after the finish has been aplied.

I found using the high build first will have a good chance of a few bubble forming after I have heated my surface to kill bubbles and walked away to let it dry only to come back hours later to find bubbles that were not there intially. The high build is simply to thick to release bubbles easily especially later forming ones. So I just used low build first and have no problems.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster