I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Crankbait rod revisit
Posted by: elrod (150.199.191.---)
Date: August 31, 2001 09:48AM

I posted earlier on suggestions for crankbait rods. The general response was what lures are being thrown. The customer uses it for deep diving crankbaits 10ft plus in depth. He does not want fiberglass only blank. A composite or graphite would be fine.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Crankbait rod revisit
Posted by: Rich Garbowski (---.voyageur.ca)
Date: August 31, 2001 11:36AM

elrod,
I've probably responded already,but here are a couple of suggestions. St. Croix has the series of new SCIII moderatet action crankbait blanks. These come in 6 1/2 ' and 7' in med. or med.heavy power.
As well, Rainshadow blanks are available in crankbait series and composite that would do well. I believe though, that the crankbait are glass. I am going to study some cross-over situations with moderte tip actions that might suit your requirements.

I've just completed a build on a Shikari Composite blank that provides the crankbait action desiered for say #10 size down deep husky jerks and that sort of crank. In medium power. up to 7'.
I believe Loomis as well would have some desireable moderate tipped blanks for consideration.
I'm sure you'll get a lot of resonse to your interest here.

Rich
Richard's Rod & Reel

Posted by: Bob Vasko (---.aps.anl.gov)
Date: August 31, 2001 05:18PM

I've heard that popping rod blanks make good graphite crankers. I have one, but haven't made much use of it yet, so I can't eally say one way or the other. Bob Vasko

Posted by: Joel (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: August 31, 2001 10:56PM

Your right about the popping rod theory. The idea behind a popping rod is to have a soft enough tip that you can make a big splash with out moving the bait very far. I have built a few popping rods, and im making one now that would be awesome for some big cranks. Check out mudholes blem poppers. I have the gp904 here and its one sweet stick with a custom sized handle. Give one a try because they are cheap and come in a bunch of sizes. Graphite too!

Till Later,
Joel

Posted by: Mike Thompson (---.gso.bellsouth.net)
Date: August 31, 2001 11:21PM

elrod,
I have a good friend that fishes the B.A.S.S. circuit & some FLW events that I have built rods for.One blank I built for him he really likes to throw crankbaits on 8-10 ft around 3/4 oz is a Loomis L842.It's listed as a light saltwater blank but of coarse I didn't tell him that untill he fished with it and said he wanted 4 more just like it. It's hard to tell how a blank is going to fish untill that particular angler fishes it,everyone fishes a little different and his own preference,I've built several rods for him and after fished wasn't to his liking so several rods were sacraficed just to find one to throw a particular bait.Of coarse the didnt go to waste theres always someone who will buy it I guess thats why most of us have 20 or so rods at any givin time

Posted by: Barry (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: September 04, 2001 12:02AM

The post about the popping rod was right on. I built a 7' 6" cranking rod with a Roberts wrap this summer. I can cast a crankbait long distances. The popping rod was from Rainshadow. I like the rod more each time I use it. Great action for a cranking rod.

Posted by: Jeff Stickle (---.s22.tnt1.lnhva.md.dialup.rcn.com)
Date: September 04, 2001 06:10AM

Barry, What model rainshadow did you use?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster