I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Sig V vs. FTL
Posted by: Marty Martin (---.gsp.bellsouth.net)
Date: February 06, 2007 07:14AM

I think I understand the difference between the Sig V and FT, but what about Sig V vs. FTL? The AA and ERN of the new blanks look similar. What are the relative pros/cons of each?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Sig V vs. FTL
Posted by: Steve Kartalia (---.ferc.gov)
Date: February 06, 2007 07:52AM

Good morning, Marty. I have built and cast the Sig. V in 966-4 and the FTL in 803-5, 803-6, 904-6, and 905-6. I have also CC'd most of the other models. I think the blanks feel quite similar and would cast and fish very similarly. I would say the main differences are the number of pieces and cosmetics. The FTL has a matte satin grey paint with none of the internal graphite visible (sort of like the matte green paint on St. Croix SCIV rods but grey instead). The Sig. Vs have a gloss clear coat over the natural graphite. I've had my eye on the Sig. V 863-4 but haven't pulled the trigger yet.

Also, the old 3pc. Sig. Vs in 844-3, 894-3, 895-3, and 896-3 were quite a bit more powerful than the newer 4pc. Sig. Vs.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/06/2007 07:59AM by Steve Kartalia.

Date: February 06, 2007 08:53AM

That helps a bunch. You know the areas I fish. Which would you opt for if you were going to span from Jones Gap on up to the Chattooga?

Date: February 06, 2007 08:58AM

The newer Sig V blanks look like they are slower and overrated by one line weight.

Date: February 06, 2007 09:15AM

I haven't had a chance to CC the Sig. V 863-4 and nobody else has entered the data for it yet either. Assuming that that blank is in the low 3s for ERN, I would probably go with that one or the FTL 803-6 and fish either with a 4wt. line since most of my casts would be on the short side and I like to use a lot of streamers which are easier to cast on a 4wt. or heavier line. If I was camping/backpacking, I'd use the shorter 6pc. for packing convenience, if just hiking in for the day then I'd get the longer 4pc.

Dang, now you have me obsessing about another project. I would really like to built that 863-4 soon.

Date: February 06, 2007 09:21AM

I like the idea of a 6pc, but I tend to like longer rods than 8'.

Date: February 06, 2007 09:43AM

Well, if you like 9' rods and 6pc., then go with the FTL 904-6 as a great all-around trout rod. I prefer 8.5' or shorter. I don't really know why, but it seems like all my favorite rods are under 9' long. My favorite trout rod of all-time, is my pre-IPC 2pc. St. Croix 4F864 (3.86/72). It suits me perfectly. I fish it alternately with either a 4wt. ro 5wt. line depending on how far I'm casting and whether I plan to fish small flies or streamers. I've even used a 3wt. line if I knew I'd be fishing for really spooky trout. The FTL 904-6 is quite similar in feel and power. I built one but sold it only because anything that is standing in line behind my favorite rod, and very similar, is likely to never see much action.

Posted by: Daryl Dertell (---.nelson.netidea.bc.ca)
Date: February 06, 2007 12:50PM

Marty,while I can,t compare the SigV to the FTL,I finished a sig v 6wt early winter but haven,t used it yet ,live in frozen north. I built a FTL 4wt last spring and used it lots . It is a very nice rod,used it mostly with 3 wt DT lineand preformed very well. I to think I will be using the sig v one wt under as well,but will try it first and see. The FTL packs nice and short,is 9 ft long and has very sweet action,more full flex than FT yet still casts well to suprisingly long distances,even with3wt line,nice feel and good with lite tippet. It is the sort of blank that I like more and more as I use it and highly recommend it. Daryl

Posted by: eric zamora (216.101.134.---)
Date: February 06, 2007 02:51PM

my FTL 8', 6 pc seems to flex a tad more than my Sig V 8'-4" 3/4 wt in the older 3 pc configuration. i would say the Sig V has a faster recovery rate than the FTL. i've used a cortland SYLK DT4F and rio selective trout WF4F on both. i like the 4 wts on the FTL 3 wt rod. both are great rods. for me, the FTL is better for smaller streams and shorter distances and overlining it by one probably helps. and i love the smaller pack down size of the 6pc.

i haven't checked out the new Sig Vs.

eric
fresno, ca.

Posted by: Scott Kinney (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: February 07, 2007 01:20AM

Like Steve said above, the new SigVs are very different from the old 3pc model. The mid and butt on the new models are nowhere near as strong. The taper from butt to tip is much more gradual (.330 to 5.0, vs. the old which went .375 to 4.5, or around there). I think overall I liked the old Vs a little more...

Scott Kinney
The Longest Cast Fly Rods
[www.thelongestcast.com]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster