I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

small blanks / decorative wraps
Posted by: Marc Morrone (---.wi.res.rr.com)
Date: February 02, 2007 10:46AM

When building on small diameter blanks (0.250" -0.280" at the butt) I seem to have a hard time making any decorative wraps beyond a chevron look good. I am fairly new to decorative wraps, and have built mostly for function. I am using size A thread and a Flex Coat hand wrapper.

Any tips on working with small blanks would be much appreciated. I also want to say thanks to the guys that answered a few of my other posts. This board has a lot of great members, generously sharing their hard learned knowledge.

Thanks,
Marc

Thanks - Marc

Keep it simple - that's all I can handle!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: small blanks / decorative wraps
Posted by: Galen Briese (134.129.79.---)
Date: February 02, 2007 11:12AM

Marc, I build a lot of ultra lite rods, and I either do chevrons, 3 colors max, or underwrap and inlay a feather. I have also done just a few trim wraps , and called it good. But like you say not a whole lot of blank to do much on. I run into the same problem with the ice rods, in that case, I use metallic thread to attach the hookeeper and inlay a feather, jungle cock nails, or grizzly hackle feathers, the hackles work nice because they are long and narrow and lay on nicely. Just my take. Galen Briese

Posted by: Scott Parsons (205.244.119.---)
Date: February 02, 2007 01:57PM

I just completed a St. John's cross on my ultra light in the dia. you mention. I used Visual Wrap to help me set up the proper spacing and thread count, I also have Billy Vivona's book. excellent how to on spacing and thread count. He is supposed to have some available at the upcoming show. But what you ask can be done. Scott

Posted by: Michael Joyce (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: February 02, 2007 02:58PM

Marc, any wrap can be done on smaller blanks. It helps the pattern to use smaller diameter threads like Madeira 60 or silks ( its not good for the eyes though)

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/02/2007 02:59PM by Michael Joyce.

Posted by: Billy Vivona (65.202.28.---)
Date: February 02, 2007 03:17PM

Here's another wrap on a tiny blank, granted it's a scrap tip off a surf rod: [www.rodbuilding.org]

I put a standard screwdriver next to it for a comparison. It is very difficult to wrap on small diameter blanks, but it can be done. I also used the smaller 60 weight Madeira thread and wrapped a 3D Star which is about as difficult as a St. John's Cross.

Posted by: Steve Cox (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: February 02, 2007 04:52PM

Mike and Bill, where do you get your Madeira # 60? Joanns here in Des Moines carries the 40 but not the 60. Thanks

Posted by: Billy Vivona (65.202.28.---)
Date: February 02, 2007 04:53PM

Direct from Madeira. Gotta order enough to make it worth the cost of shipping.

Posted by: Scott VanGuilder (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: February 03, 2007 07:00AM

Here is a link to a rather small blank that I did star pattern on with Mettler 40.

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: February 03, 2007 02:34PM

WOW, Scott!! Nice work!

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Scott VanGuilder (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: February 04, 2007 08:26AM

Thanks Mike!!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster