I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Braided line and blanks
Posted by: Warren (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: August 28, 2001 08:40PM

Do you professionals "stay away" from blanks that the manufactorer doesn't list as "for braided line" or some such language When building a rod that will be used with braided line? I note that some companies and their suppliers are listing some blanks/rods as for braided line. Does that mean if they're not listed for braid that they shouldn't be used? I've emailed some companies about this and have yet to get a response from any of them, about 3 weeks ago. The fact that many anglers are going to braid to get more line capacity and/or to avoid shockleader knots makes be think that if one changes to braided line but keeps drag settings set IAW the rod/blank rating that braids wouldn't be a problem, ie 65 lb test braid on a Shamino Calcutta 700S on a surf rod rated for 20 -30lb line. "Regular" drag setting would be 10lbs. Keep the same drag setting with the braid and should there be a problem?Warren

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Braided line and blanks
Posted by: Bob Balcombe (REELMAN) (---.mon.centurytel.net)
Date: August 29, 2001 02:07AM

Braided lines are of no problem with any rod. Where problem lies is when the fisherman thinks it is ok to go to a larger diamiter line and over powers the rod using the new smaller diamiter lines. All they have to remember is to go by the recomended line wt. Not line size

Posted by: Matt Davis (206.8.166.---)
Date: August 29, 2001 07:34AM

Old wives tales. Both on the blanks and guides. In the early days of 'superlines' many were made of Kevlar which does wear guides and blanks. Todays superlines are made from polyethelyne. The same 'waxy' plastic that milk jugs are made of. Basically its self lubricating. No wear.

Posted by: Billy 40 (---.dynamic.ziplink.net)
Date: August 29, 2001 08:16AM

I have a few of the Lami's that are labelled under the "Braided Line" category. They are graphite butts, and have glass tips. In my opinion, this serves 2 purposes.

1 - Anglers who are not used to fishing braided lines will "high-stick" when setting the hook. With no stretch in the line, something has to give, and unfortunately it is teh tip section of your new custom rod. From what I understand - using mono and glass would not give a solid hook-up because of the stretch in the mono and the bend in the glass. The glass in the tip prevents the tip from breaking when the rod is high stickked. Anglers are still adjusting to the "new" way of fishing.
2 - When using the braided line with graphite, there is no question when you set the hook - you set the hook good. The stiffness of the graphite coupled with braid (no give once again) will sometimes tear the hook out of the fish's mouth. From what I've read, the soft glass tip prevents this from happening.

Does this mean you cannot use braid with other types of rods - NO. But these specific rods I am referring to fill a niche (from what i've been reading) and address a specific problem that anglers are having when using the braided lines.

Billy

Posted by: Dick Thurston (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: September 01, 2001 10:21AM

The only Hardloy guides I've ever had to replace due to "grooving" have been on rods where "Spider Wire" was used. These were replaced with SIC guides hand no further problems have been incurred. Braided lines are mostly used in places where there are a lot of rough, rocky, & sandy areas which cause abrasion & failure of monofilament lines but, as mentioned above, cause the braideds to pick up a sandpaper-like attitude.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster