I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Blank Recomendation - smallmouth...
Posted by: Fred Duncan (---.dsl.mindspring.com)
Date: January 01, 2007 08:43AM

Brotherinlaw says he would like a 7 ft, one piece spinning rod for smallmouth fishing in PA. He uses 6 lb test. I know he throws a lot of Rapalas and the salted tube jigs. Primarily he fishes small rivers. This is my other, neglected BIL so I want to hook him up for he never has asked me for anything but another beer....Thanks men!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Blank Recomendation - smallmouth...
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: January 01, 2007 09:10AM

There was an article on building a river smallmouth rod in the Volume 7 #1 issue of RodMaker. You might find it helpful.

I have often used the Loomis SJ700 and extended it by about 6 inches. I don't know if they still make that one or not.

Another possible blank would be any of the fast action, light power popping blanks in the 7' range.

Posted by: Bill Holsonback (---.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)
Date: January 01, 2007 09:29AM

I wonder what river he is fishing. Here in the Delaware, susky, and Lehigh 6 pound test would turn into an all day exercise in re-rigging the rod.

I have a rod built on the StCroix 3S70MF, works well for me using tubes with light line.

Date: January 01, 2007 09:39AM

Bill, he's in Pittsburgh. His main AO is a river he wades and calls the "Yak" ???? I'm in GA.

Date: January 01, 2007 10:02AM

Just from my online research, I've narrowed it down to the St Croix SC3570MF and the Lamiglass CS84ML. The Lamiglass looks like a better value. Still looking for input. Thanks

Posted by: Matt Davis (---.fergus.prtel.com)
Date: January 01, 2007 10:11AM

I do more St. Croix MLF's for Smallie guys than I do MF's. The MF's are more popular with my Largemouth guys since they deal more with fish in cover.

Can't comment on the Lamiglas model other than to say it looks to be more like a St. Croix MLF than a MF. But I've not used one.

Better to have and not need than to need and not have.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (65.197.242.---)
Date: January 01, 2007 10:18AM

If Karen still has a Shikari PSJ702 at the shop it would be a dandy choice. Can't beat the performance for the price.

Date: January 01, 2007 10:22AM

I recently built 2 Seeker @#$%& 706 as striper rods. Love them. Cannot believe how light they are for such a big blank. This was my first introduction to S glass. I notice that Seeker also makes a freshwater spinning rod out of S glass/ Boron. The SP 703, line rated for 4,6,10lb. I know Seeker is known for their saltwater rods but I'm definately a big fan of that company. Tom, do you know much about their light freshwater stuff? I know these rods are gonna see some tough duty. Pro's, Cons?

Posted by: Dave Wylie (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: January 01, 2007 10:59AM

I believe that the G Loomis P8400 in GLX would be an excellent choice. I just finished building my Christmas present rod and it really turned out great. Mud Hole has this blank.

Date: January 01, 2007 11:12AM

Dave I appreciate your input, but at 210.00, I believe I'll pass on the loomis. Unless it cleans the house to!

Posted by: Pat Majeski (---.dsl.pltn13.pacbell.net)
Date: January 01, 2007 11:22AM

Fred- Try the Seeker 701 bass spinning blank 4-8 line, might fit your needs.
Pat

Posted by: Don Lukehart (---.pitt.east.verizon.net)
Date: January 01, 2007 11:27AM

Fred just for your info the River is the "Yough" short for the Youghiogheny

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: January 01, 2007 12:04PM

Depending on just how much you like your Brother in law, consider a CTS!!

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Date: January 01, 2007 12:23PM

Hey Mike, I was looking at them on Andy's site. Andy Dear has been real good to me and his word means a lot. I have read online where it takes a month or more to get a blank in from NZ. What is the delivery time on a CTS?

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: January 01, 2007 12:57PM

Fred,

Give Andy a call. Delivery time depends on what he has on hand. He might already have what you want. They are AWESOME blanks and well worth any wait!!

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Duane Richards (---.rn.hr.cox.net)
Date: January 01, 2007 01:50PM

Fred,

I just built a CTS 6'6" for river smallmouth bass, EBT784 from Andy. Took it fishing Friday for the very 1st time here in VA. (keep in mind I target larger SM regularly) I only caught 7 smallies, but the size was outstanding: 1-17", 5-18"ers, 1-19"

EVERY one came on that new CTS. I have never fished a rod that felt and performed SO WELL as that CTS. I STRONGLY suggest you go with the CTS, the extra $ will be WELL SPENT if your BILaw is REALLY into SM Bass and does a lot of fishing. And if he is, I suspect you may have his line choice wrong, because 6lb test would NOT have caught me ONE of those above fish. I've spent MANY years chasing river smallmouth, and in his area up in PA those fish are wide and tall and fight VERY well for their lengths.

I am so pleased with this CTS blank, I sent Andy an email asking him what in the @#$%& am I going to do with all my "other" rods now, because this one is in a completely different league and fishing the others is like fishing a rubber baseball bat!.......yea......its that important. :)

DR

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/01/2007 01:51PM by Duane Richards (DR).

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (65.197.242.---)
Date: January 01, 2007 02:23PM

I built a 7 ft 2 - 6 kg xfast taper for my daughter in law for a wedding present. Makes a beautiful smallmouth rod, throws much lighter than rated. Very similar blank to the GLX and the SHX blanks suggested above. The price was not in line with the blanks you mentioned. Rainshadows IP841 was a similar blank, but lighter powered. The St Croix 3S69MLXF, their dropshot blank, would also be a dandy.

Posted by: Andrew White (---.ks.ks.cox.net)
Date: January 01, 2007 08:10PM

I use the 3C69MLXF for similar applications. It's the same blank that Spencer mentioned above--it's sold as both a spinning and casting rod. Personally, though, I fish 8 and 10 lb. line on mine. I think you can buy the same blank in the SCIV line too.

But, take my suggestions with a grain of salt, as I've not tried a lot of different blanks. I got to using the SCIII series of blanks, and I was so pleased that I never messed with much else.

Posted by: Joe Kassuba (---.dhcp.knwk.wa.charter.com)
Date: January 02, 2007 11:44PM

Rainshadow ISB841 (RX7 graphite comes in OG or Matt finish) makes great bass rods for 6 lb line. Build with a solid graphite woven tennesse grip and use REC recoil guides. Super sensitve feel and great hooking characteritics. Use both for bass club members out here and they like them allot. You can go up to the ISB842 and it will cast a 6lb line well too. If he is a two handed caster go with the 842.

His Rod Shop
Joe Kassuba

Posted by: Todd Theodore (---.eos.net)
Date: January 03, 2007 09:39PM

I'll join in with Duane (DR) and shout the praises of the CTS blanks. I built a 6'6", medium light, fast action spinning rod from the Elite Tournament series last year and have never fished with such an incredible rod. Unbelievably sensitive, light and yet very powerful. Like Duane said, It's hard to fish with anything else after feeling the difference.
Todd

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster