I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Any differences between Deluxe and Standard Fuji reel seats?
Posted by: Dan Miller (---.dsl.bell.ca)
Date: December 11, 2006 12:35PM

TCSD-16 frosted silver.

TCSM-16 frosted silver

Both these trigger style Fuji reel seats show the same ID, OD and length dimensions in the catalogs. Is it just a matter of the extra finshing trim ring for the upgraded visual effect? Do I give up any mechanical properties by going from the Deluxe to the Standard seat?

The holding or clamping power strength? The grade of the plastic graphite material? They both appear, in catalog photos, to be cushioned, so I do not see a change there.

Same with the DPSD vs the DPSM series of Fuji spinning seats. What do I give up mechanically, going from Deluxe to Standard, if anything at all?

Thanks,

Dan Miller

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Any differences between Deluxe and Standard Fuji reel seats?
Posted by: Marty Martin (---.gsp.bellsouth.net)
Date: December 11, 2006 12:42PM

There is no functional difference that I can tell and I have both. I have actually gone to the "economy" seats exclusively because they cost less and are also availalbe in gunsmoke.

Date: December 11, 2006 01:12PM

Marty,

That is where I am thinking of going ........ to the Gunsmoke finish. Do you find it durable?

Dan

Posted by: Scott Youschak (72.242.111.---)
Date: December 11, 2006 01:13PM

The only difference I have seen is that the deluxe has an accent trim ring on the nut.

Posted by: Marty Martin (---.gsp.bellsouth.net)
Date: December 11, 2006 01:37PM

I can find no difference in durability and use almost all the rods I build in saltwater as well as fresh. I always flush everything well after each use, but I have never had a corrosion/durability problem with any component - seat, grip, guides, etc. I use Fuji and Batson stuff, take care of it, and I have never had a problem.

Posted by: Billy Vivona (65.202.28.---)
Date: December 11, 2006 01:47PM

Deluxe has a fancy metallic sticker on it too.

Date: December 11, 2006 02:04PM

Marty and Scott ....... Thanks.

Billy ......... Givin' up that fancy metallic sticker is gonna hurt !!!!!

Dan

Posted by: Donald Becker (---.lava.net)
Date: December 11, 2006 03:01PM

Scott Youschak Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The only difference I have seen is that the deluxe
> has an accent trim ring on the nut.

Hi Scott,

I have been told that the ring is for re-inforcement. Standard practice for us has been to use the ringed/deluxe reel seats for salt water use.

Don

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: December 11, 2006 06:00PM

Don's correct - the ring is both cosmetic and functional, as a reinforcement. But, you'd be hard pressed to find any of the Fuji rings without the reinforcement, that have split or cracked. So it really doesn't seem to be something that you have to have.

Posted by: Donald Becker (---.lava.net)
Date: December 11, 2006 08:34PM

I believe the bottom line is the usage of the reel seat. One tackle shop reports Fuji reel seats damaged by large fish. The example cited was the rear hood being ripped off the seat. It wasn't mentioned whether the reel seat was up locking or down locking. These are extreme cases and the rod was probably mounted with a Penn 6/0 or Newell 646 (80 - 100# mainline). I have not personnaly witnessed any of the occurences or damaged goods and believe that at least a part of the damage was due to inappropriate use. This could happen then the drag is locked down too tight when a large fish hits. It's isn't likely that most people will be going to the extreme of using graphite reel seats to handle very large reels.

Hm, Tom said that in three sentences and came to a conclusion.

Don

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: December 11, 2006 08:49PM

And, such failures often happen to seats that look like the Fuji model and then are attributed to what is believed to be a Fuji seat when in fact it is something else.

No doubt that you can damage any seat if you use it for situations it was not intended for. If useing a reel clamp, I'd use a full length arbor under the seat. And if using a large trolling type reel, I'd probably move to the saltwater type HD seat anyway.

Posted by: Dave Gilberg (---.pghk.east.verizon.net)
Date: December 12, 2006 01:24AM

I prefer the Standard Fuji Graphite seats in all black. The factory Loomis 1266S Surf Rod I bought 6 years ago came with one in 20mm. The seat has never failed in any way and shows no sign of wear whatsoever. Great seats. The $45.00+ Fuji Cobra seats present any discernable improvement but not worth the vast price difference in my opinion. They have a smoother finish and in tightening action and are very handsome. They might be stronger too, but the standard seat has never let me down.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster