I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

oh no, Rod Bond still tacky!
Posted by: Jim Bousquet (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: December 04, 2006 11:05PM

Hi all,

Well, I finally did it. I made up a batch that didn't fully cure. It was close, but not quite close enough. In my alleged mind, I was imagining the label on a can of PC-7 that says "50-50 non critical mix." Darn. Guess it doesn’t work that way with Rod Bond, and I should’ve known better. Never had a problem before with Rod Bond, but screwed up this time. However, I only used it for the rear cork and the reel seat arbor. I guess my question is, on a hot day, will a twisting reel seat be an issue, or should it stay put assuming I get the next batch right (which I will) to bond the Fuji DPSM to the arbor? Oh yeah, maybe I’m lucky that this is only a 7’ 2 pc. Spinning rod, 6-12 lb. test, as opposed to something of heavier artillery………Any others encounter a ratio faux-pas with Rod Bond?…….thanks in advance, a sheepish Jim

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: oh no, Rod Bond still tacky!
Posted by: Steve Broadwell (---.22.29.71.ip.alltel.net)
Date: December 04, 2006 11:37PM

No, I have never had a problem. I don't worry too much at all about getting equal amounts. I just scoop some resin up with a plastic knife, wipe the knife, and scoop some hardner, trying to get about the same amount. I think Ralph has said that you don't have to be exact. Maybe it is something else. Is it really cold where you build? I know it does seem to take longer to harden when it is around 60 in my basement. But, it has always hardened.

Posted by: eric zamora (---.dsl.frsn02.pacbell.net)
Date: December 05, 2006 02:53AM

how long has it been drying?

eric
fresno, ca.

Posted by: Jim Bousquet (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: December 05, 2006 03:49AM

around 28 hours when i posted, probably 35-ish now.

Jim

Posted by: eric zamora (---.dsl.frsn02.pacbell.net)
Date: December 05, 2006 05:35AM

like steve said, maybe it's the temperature. how cold is it where you're building? i'd give it another 12 hours before pulling your hair. does it appear to be coming along at all?

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: December 05, 2006 09:13AM

Carry the rod into a warm part of your house and let it stand for 24 hours. Hopefully that will fix your problem.

If not, then try to pull/twist the cork off. If you can't do it, you should be fine. If you can, then you can mix more epoxy and correct the problem.

Posted by: ALTON BENTLEY (---.bragg.army.mil)
Date: December 05, 2006 12:45PM

Jim

Just this past sunday a friend and I built a couple of spinning rod handles and used rod bond with no problem. I just eyed balled the two ingredients. Just made sure they were truly mixed well. Temp outside was in the 40 to 50 range. We ensured that the garage temp was close to 70 degree.. First time I have tried it. thanks.

Posted by: Jay Lancaster (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: December 05, 2006 01:13PM

If the ratio was off...from my experience...it must have been WAY off for Rod Bond to not cure.

I would suspect temperature over a bad mix. Rod Bond is the absolute easiest stuff I've ever used.

Jay

Posted by: Fran Park (---.carolina.res.rr.com)
Date: December 05, 2006 09:35PM

I don't know why anyone would create a situation that in the event of a failure would cause them to question whether or not the problem was a bad mix ratio. For the cost of a few measuring spoons (I use plastic), you can easily eliminate the worry of correct ratios. I always measure my Rod bond. It is so easy to work with. It is just like measuring a half teaspoon or teaspoon of shortening. Then mix until the color is uniform, and go.
If you end up with a poor bond, you can know it is not a ratio problem. I've never had a bad set with RB.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster