I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

How to choose action for spinning rod
Posted by: Bob Petti (---.stny.rr.com)
Date: August 26, 2001 02:00PM

How do you know what sort of action you want in a spinning rod?

Coming from a background building fly rods, I understand the concept of "fast" and "slow" action rods, and how it relates to fly fishing situations and particular casting skills, but I can't make the same claim for spin casting.

When choosing a spin blank, how do you know when to choose a very fast "tip action" blank vs a slower "bend to the butt" blank? Is one easier to cast in general than another? Is it more related to the fishing technique or circumstance? Angler skill?

The reason I ask is that awhile back I posted for thoughts on a favorite spinning blank for tossing rapalas and what not, and the recommendations I received were generally for blanks listed as either fast or extra fast action. I wondered why.

Just curious.

Bob

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: How to choose action for spinning rod
Posted by: Robert (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: August 26, 2001 07:11PM

I find it easier to shoot lures under bushes and stuff with a fast action blank.

Posted by: Jim Reinhardt (209.83.89.---)
Date: August 26, 2001 07:44PM

A fast action blank will cast a wider range of lure weights, but requires a quicker casting action. They are good for snap casters who use alot of wrist. The slower action blanks will cast a narrower range for lure weights but are easier to cast. However it is easy for a caster that is used to fast action blanks to overpower the rod. I think that action is a matter of personal preference to some extent, much like it is with fly rods.

Posted by: Bob Vasko (---.aps.anl.gov)
Date: August 27, 2001 09:40AM

I'm beginning to like extra fast action rods for most of my spinning rods, especially for throwing lighter weight lures like Rapalas. Two blanks that have performed well are the Graphite USA model b70lxf, and the St.Croix model 5s63mxf. just my 2 cents worth. Bob Vasko

St Croix 5C63MXF
Posted by: Jim Johns (---.boeing.com)
Date: August 27, 2001 01:55PM

Bob Vasko hit it right on the head with the St. Croix 5C63MXF. The extra fast action lets you cast light lures easily, but still has the backbone to set the hook in good size fish. However, if the 5C63MXF blank from the Legend Elite series is a bit pricey for your tastes at $120 retail, try the 3S63MXF Avid series blank at $62. I love my St. Croix rods because they build so light.

Jim

Re: St Croix 5C63MXF
Posted by: Rich Garbowski (---.voyageur.ca)
Date: August 27, 2001 02:09PM

The St. Croix xtra fast actions are very popular and give the expected performance. What I like is probably described as less 'rebound' with the extra fast action when throwing those smaller baits. They work very nicely with plastic baits like flukes, skip shads, and senkos as well with a range of finess baits, tubes and so on. I like the casting distance and placement where you want with these blanks. Especially the 6'3 and 6'8" are favorite choices.

Anglers quickly can catch on to the skill of using these rods and can get a pretty good feel of the actions. More, is I think to do with the type of techniques applied to the fishing situation as already mentioned in throwing the more finesse and lighter lures. I find these blanks lend themselves very well to accurate placement with the release. I don't know, but the energy release through these tips seem just about right for what we are talking about above.

For overall action usage, I might recommend more the fast or even slower actions for say topwater or other baits. For spinnerbaits and crankbaits get use to a more moderate action for the better reactions to hooksets.

As Jim points out the lighter SCV version is premium and great sensitivity, but the SCIII graphite will not dissapoint. Great sensitivity in both these series of graphites.

my 2 cents, again.

Rich
Solyrich Custom Rods

Re: St Croix 5C63MXF
Posted by: Dick Thurston (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: September 03, 2001 12:05PM

The only way I know to determine which action to build is to ask the customer what he likes.
For jigging most fisherman will prefer very fast action rods but there will be some who like slower rods.
For crankbaits most fishermen prefer softer tips which allow the bait to emit more movement but some prefer the quicker type rods for accurate placement of their lure and for pitching & flipping.
You'll find as many arguments about which type of rod is best for each application as there are fishermen. While I have strong preferences for rods of my own I don't presume to tell anyone which type blank to use unless asked. I have quite a number of rods, fly & spinning with various actions that I can let someone try. If a customer wants me to build on a blank that I don't feel he will be happy with I can offer him another rod to use until I get his built. This often results in a quick phone call to change his order but just as often he will not like my rod & be in love with one he picked out. To each his own poison!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster