I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Robert's Wrap
Posted by: Tony (---.olypen.com)
Date: August 25, 2001 01:32PM

I been looking at this site for a couple of weeks now and I see people talking about Robert wraps and spiral wraps pertaining to the guides on rods. I think I have figured out that it is guides that go around the rod. If someone would please fax me some examples, I would be very grateful. I would like to know what everyone is talking about.

Thank You
Tony

Fax #360-582-1334

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Robert's Wrap
Posted by: Tom McNamara (---.24.97.oviedo.cfl.rr.com)
Date: August 25, 2001 10:59PM

I will fax you a layout for a bottom rod. Anyone else just email me with your fax # for a copy.

Tom McNamara
Mud Hole

Posted by: Don Morton (---.localaccess.net)
Date: August 25, 2001 11:11PM

Tony, the term Robert's wrap was coined by a rod builder from FL. by the name of Joy Dunlap. Joy found out about the wrap from a fellow rod builder by the name of Roberts thus Robert's wrap. Actually the process was patented by John Scanlan in 1909. The term Robert's wrap/spiral wrap and many other names refer to the process of spiraling the line around the rod from the reel on top of the rod to the tip guides on the bottom of the rod. There are many ways to achieve this task. Originally, the line was moved to the bottom of the rod in 6 to 8 inches using 4 or more guides. A more common approach now seem to use a some what normal guide spacing and a longer distance around the rod. Regardless of the technique used to move the line around the rod a couple of points should be considered. First the line should flow as straight as possible from the reel to the tip in any fishing position. Second the line should make as small an angle as possible at each guide. Third the line should touch only the top or bottom of each guide. Forth the line should get around the rod before the curve or bend in the rod when fishing. Fifth the line should move through the guides with out vibrating when casting. If these criteria are followed the wrap will be fine reguardless of the technique used to move the line around the rod.

Posted by: elrod (150.199.191.---)
Date: August 27, 2001 12:10PM

I am going to attempt the wrap technique on a 6ft GL3 casting blank. Do you typically make the wrap with the same size guides or decrement in size as normal. Would you place a 12-12-12-10-8......or do a 12-10-10-8-........ etc. I know it will vary a little according to reel and each particular blank, but what is a good starting point?

elrod
Posted by: Jim Johns (---.boeing.com)
Date: August 27, 2001 01:39PM

I'd use Fuji Alconite guides as follows: BLNAG12J, BLNAG10J, BUNAG8J, BUNAG7J, BLAG6J (x 4) + BFAT6(tip size), with the first 4 guides making the turn.

I've built several spiral wrapped rods this year, all 7 footers. I use 9 guides + tip top on those rods (I add a BLNAG7J) and it works great. Just my 2¢ worth -- Jim

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster