I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Why Not Silk Thread?
Posted by: Paul O (---.dialup.umn.edu)
Date: August 25, 2001 09:34AM

Hi,

I've built 5-6 rods all light freshwater spinning or casting. I've always used size A nylon thread. Some D for Weaves.

After looking at some picture of a few Bamboo rods that have used Silk thread, I was amazed at how it looked.

I guess my question is:

Are there any downsides to using silk thread for the types of rods that are listed above?

Is it hard to work with? Are there finishing issues? Is it not as strong?

Just wondering.

Thanx in advance PO

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Why Not Silk Thread?
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.dialinx.net)
Date: August 25, 2001 02:16PM

I have not used it very much, and not at all in the past few years. Russ Gooding did a nice article for us in the last issue of RodMaker (volume 4 #4) concerning the use of silk and how to best wrap and finish with it. I'm sure someone else will weigh in with more specifics.

Posted by: Andy (64.39.196.---)
Date: August 25, 2001 04:27PM

I use silk exclusively for fly rods. I like the colour and texture and the fact that it is a natural product. I always use colour preserver made for silk thread (2 coats). Silk is generally a little finer diameter than the 'A' specified so there is a bit more time involved in wrapping (very little when using single foot guides on fly rods). The small dia. can also be a problem if you don't take extra care in preparing the guide feet.

It is possible to get some 'fuzz' in the wraps but this is generally not a problem - I give them a quick pass with an alcohol torch if this occurs.

Give it a try, I think you will enjoy the effect.

Andy

Posted by: Rich Garbowski (---.voyageur.ca)
Date: August 26, 2001 05:05PM

Silk being one of the stongest natural materials known, is one reason we've been using it and it is beautiful stuff to work with as Andy points out. We like the range of tones and the handling qualities, especially of the metallics. Be sure to use the A size for the larger rods.
The downside is expense, and finding the right brands preferably the Japanese we find are the best. Also special treating with a solvent based color preserver soaked well into the threads and then rotating. Repeat this step and the richness of the colors remain present.
You have to play around a bit with shades and tones to see what you like to match with certain blanks.

For normal usage custom rods, silk may be a bit outlandish and something possible to reserve for those special projects, but definitely I and Solly enjoy the properties of strength, integrity of the thread (not kinky or 'grainy'), the different color range than nylons, and they also lay and pull together into a quality wrap with practice. Also, I wouldn't see much point in using black silk thread over nylon. Silk seems to lend itself more toward the artistry end of the spectrum in custom rodbuilding, but I can see it also playing a functional role with strength. We've seen no durability problems and many years of use on bamboo should attest to this.

Andy points out the smaller diameter in A size, and really not that difficult to deal with compared to A nylon. Silk makes for beautiful buttwraps. We like the Kanawaga (spelling?) brand with Al's color rite color preserver. Apply your normal epoxy finish like with nylon and viola!

Wonder if anyone has played around with spider web 'silk' . It is suppose to be even stronger? research anyone???

Rich
Solyrich Custom Rods

Posted by: Kerry (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: August 27, 2001 01:22AM

Besides Al's, which color preservatives are solvent based?

thanks
Kerry

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster