I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Inexpensive blanks
Posted by: Jeff Hartman (---.atlaga.adelphia.net)
Date: September 30, 2006 08:14PM

While I wait on my Kirkman's book to get here, I am reading all that I can. Here is a question that I can't seem to find an answer to. What are some inexpensive blanks to start with while learning? I am interested in building trout and smallmouth spinning rods. I know I want cork TN handles on them. I don't want to spend a lot of money on blanks while I am learning. I would love to find inexpensive blanks that feel and fish as good as the expensive ones. Anything out there like that? Thanks.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Inexpensive blanks
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: September 30, 2006 08:22PM

When inexpensive blanks "feel and fish as good as expensive ones" the expensive ones will no longer be produced. Just as a Hundai is not going to be quite the car a Mercedes is, the inexpensive blanks won't generally be the blanks that more expensive makes are.

However, there are plenty of inexpensive blanks that represent a great value and do feel and fish nicely for their price point. Take your pick from Batson, American Tackle, Sevier, CUI, Pacific Bay, etc, etc., etc. Even some of the big name blank companies offer lower end blank lines that are pretty darn good. Browse the sponsor list to the left and poke around on some of those websites. Plenty of good stuff out there.

Posted by: Sammy Mickel (---.r4.ncreed.infoave.net)
Date: September 30, 2006 09:01PM

The first 2 blanks I built on were G Loomis and St.Croix. It wasn't that I had a lot of cash floating around but that I wanted something with a good feel. With the advice I received from Tom to read and study from good sources of information helped alot. I'm not saying the wraps were perfect or that you couldn't find a small glue line but as far as construction they are sound. In fact I have fished one for quite some time now. Find some one who has a action you like and go for it. Many of the "expensive" blank manufactures have a class in a moderate price range that offers outstanding performance.

Posted by: Russ Pollack (---.dyn.embarqhsd.net)
Date: September 30, 2006 09:57PM

Another alternative is that many of the sponsors to the left, periodically offer close-outs or special-purchase rods, which are often quite inexpensive. Since they are coming from a vendor you can trust, they represent lower-cost or inexpensive blanks, often from the "name" manufacturers, that are one-time deals. Are they as good as the "expensive" stuff? Well, many times they are last year's or even older models that were indeed more "expensive" - or at least mid-price - back when they were first sold.

There's been some tkhreads on this board about warranties for various rods but I'd check with the vendor, if that's an issue for you. You have to balance that issue with the cost of the blank.

Uncle Russ

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: September 30, 2006 11:05PM

Jim,

Just a heads up! You need to re register using your full name per site rules posted above and repost as this post will be automatically removed shortly

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/30/2006 11:09PM by Mike Barkley.

Posted by: Pat Majeski (---.dsl.pltn13.pacbell.net)
Date: September 30, 2006 11:41PM

Jeff,
Cabela's has some decent blanks for reasonble prices.
Pat

Posted by: Rich Matranga (---.dsl.scrm01.pacbell.net)
Date: October 01, 2006 05:30AM

I was in the same boat when I first started building rods. I wanted some low priced blanks to practice on but I also did not want blanks that were cheap and poor qualitiy to fish with. I contacted Robert at "fishsticks4u" (one of the sponsors on the left). He found me some very low priced blanks he had in stock that actually were very nice rods for the money. If I remember correctly they were all Batson blanks. Some of them had very minor flaws on the finish and one had a broken tip about one inch down from the top which required no repair at all. I just took some very fine sandpaper and within a couple minutes of very light sanding to flaw on the finish , I had the rods looking as good as new. In fact I actually liked the flat matt finish I ended up with better then the glossy finish that came on the blanks. You might want to give Robert a call or shoot him an e-mail and see if he can help you out. I bought 5 or 6 blanks and they all have great action and feel and are perfect for small mouth bass and trout. I also got a couple pieces of broken rods from him that I made into cork/EVA reamers.

Rich Matranga
Folsom, California

Posted by: Dave Lester (---.mad.east.verizon.net)
Date: October 01, 2006 08:21AM

My experience...

15+ years ago when I built my first rods, a Sage RPL 8 wt and Scott PowrPly 3 wt, I did it to save some money, which I did. I still use them today, and look fondly at the amateur wraps and faux pas. This past year I used the Scott as practice on a rebuild and it turned out well. After a hiatus of 13 years, I started off with a couple inexpensive blanks. They are both now parts donors after breaking within a couple trips. (No brands will be named.)

the moral is to buy what you want to use, and practice on them. Nothing is final, as guides can be rewrapped, seats changed off and grips resanded. Just read up, look at as many fine examples as you can (there's plenty in the photos section), and ask questions. The collective experience on this forum is immense, and someone always chimes in with the answers you need.

Dave

Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: October 01, 2006 08:50AM

Russ had a very good point. Currently, Mud Hole has some "discontinued" blanks from Lamiglas that are very good quality (top shelf) and priced well below retail. These blanks come with complete warranties.

Posted by: Roger Templon (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: October 01, 2006 09:29AM

Jeff
About a year and a half ago (if my memory is correct) I had the chance to stop into Mudhole's new location just as they were getting ready to open. I bought a few "no-name" 6'6" med light one piece graphite (IM6 ? - clear polished graphite color) blanks, supposedly from a well known mfgr., that were "out of mfgr. spec". Perfect inexpensive smallmouth spinning rod blanks for fishing central Pa's. Juniata and Susquehanna Rivers. I think I payed $15 apiece for them. I don't know if Mudhole still offers these blanks - but a quick e-mail to Mudhole would answer that question. These blanks fish nicely on the smallies and have been holding up well since they were put into action. I would not have a problem buying a bunch more of these blanks. Good luck!

Rog

Posted by: Mick McComesky (---.244.27.42.Dial1.StLouis1.Level3.net)
Date: October 01, 2006 11:23AM

Dave makes a great point. You can get a really nice blank and redo it whenever you want. But if you really want to just knock a few rods out, I second Mudholes no-name gloss blanks and their unsanded blanks. Very inexpensive and they make some good, fishable pond beaters. Also look into the Batson Forecast line where you can find some outstanding blanks in the neighborhood of 25 bucks.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.onsemi.com)
Date: October 01, 2006 11:46AM

Jeff,
Angler's Workshop has some Lamiglas XMG50 blanks (higher end) blanks in the back at some great prices in actions for what your doing. They are in the sale items section at the bottom left of the site. If your not sure about what you need just talk to the people there with as much specifics as you can and they'll hook you up with the right package. Have been stocking up on these blanks myself.
Giving more specifics here will get you a recommendation on other blanks and manufacturers for your applications.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster