I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Tip-Top Ring Size
Posted by: Steven Libby (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: September 18, 2006 05:38PM

I've always made a point to have a tip top with the same size ring as the smallest guide. I'm not sure if I picked this up reading something somewhere or not. Is it necessary? I'm having problems finding a black alconite top with the same size ring AND with a tube size that will fit the blank . The ring is size 6 and the tube needs to be 7 or 7.5......6.5 is the largest tube size I can find with a size 6 ring black alconite, and it is just a tad too small. But I notice I can get a 7.5 tube with a size 7 ring. Your thoughts?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Tip-Top Ring Size
Posted by: Chris Karp (---.netpenny.net)
Date: September 18, 2006 06:43PM

Other Mfg's might make it. but FUJI thought that barrel size warranted a larger ring, they have to make a cut off point some where and it is usually cost related, which might indicate to you that what your doing might be on the rare side. A size 6 barrel and/or blank tip is a beefy prospect for a size 6 ring. go figure

Posted by: Duane Richards (---.rn.hr.cox.net)
Date: September 18, 2006 06:58PM

Steve,

I've ran into the SAME thing. We're talking bass rods here? Freshwater....I don't believe there is a bass that could harm a sz6 ring or any well made tip top. Tip tops just don't take much of a beating, the ring does, but not the tip top itself. Most of the time a bent rod tip is pointing DOWN at the water, (with a fish on) not stuck out on a limb with all the pressure on the tip top itself.

I never understood why they don't make a sz 6 ring all the way up to about a 6-7 even 8 tube. After all a
6-7 tube is a pretty stout animal and a sz 6 ring will handle most anything in fresh water.

Anyway....Steve I agree, the Fuji's stop short when looking for a ring sz 6 and I've had to use 7 rings on many rods where I wanted a 6. You're not alone.

DR

Posted by: Emory Harry (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: September 18, 2006 07:10PM

Steven,
I would not use a tip with a smaller ring size than the smallest guide but you could use one with a size larger ring size. In fact, if you sight down the guides on most rods you can see that the hole in the tip, using the same size tip as the smallest guide, will actually sit a little lower than the previous guide. This means there is going to be some friction at this point and loss in casting distance. I have no idea why the guide manufacturers make them like this. If you use a size larger it will actually line up better. On the other hand a larger tip will be adding a little weight at exactly the worst spot to add weight but with a rod that is as large as you are making, with a 7 or 7.5 tube size, it should not be a problem.

Posted by: Steven Libby (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: September 18, 2006 08:35PM

Thanks guys. Yes, this is a freshwater bass rod, an amtak AMSP784-2 matrix blank. Actually, I got 2 of these blanks, and on one of them a 6.5 tube fits perfectly...the other is just a tad too big, creating my little dilema. Its advertised as having a size 6 tip.

Posted by: Chris Garrity (---.phlapafg.covad.net)
Date: September 19, 2006 08:45AM

Emory, I know exactly what you're talking about -- you'll build a rod whose smallest guide is a size 10, and you'll use a size 10 ring for the top, and when you look at them next to each other the ring in the tip is way, way closer to the blank than the tip-most guide ring is.

When discussing surf rods, someone here -- I can't remember who it was or where it was mentioned -- said that he always uses a top with a ring size one bigger than the ring size in the tip-most guide. That way the tip's ring sticks out from the blank farther, and in doing so aligns better with the last guide ring. I haven't tried it yet -- I'm still not sure that the fact that the tip ring sits closer to the blank actually makes any difference in casting distance -- but using a bigger ring size in the tip does make sense. And it should work for you, Steve. Good luck.

Posted by: Stan Gregory (---.dyn.embarqhsd.net)
Date: September 19, 2006 08:52PM

Using a tip-top ring one size up from the last few guides is the way a lot of folks do it. It makes fairly good sense, IMO, especially on the light-weight salt water rods I build..

Stan

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster