I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

New St Croix Blanks
Posted by: Gerald McCasland (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: August 23, 2001 11:56AM

Have any of you felt, fondled, or built any of the new blanks. In particular 3C70MM, 3C70MHM, or the 3C70MHXF. How do they feel? Will the crank bait blanks make good bay popping rods. Seems to me that they should. Let us know what you have found out about them. Yes I know that the 3C70MHXF is not a crank bait blank. I'm asking about it because I have had such good luck with the3C68MXF.

Thanks,
Gerald McCasland

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: New St Croix Blanks
Posted by: Rich Garbowski (---.voyageur.ca)
Date: August 23, 2001 03:29PM

Gerald,
We're soon expecting our 2002 shipment of these and a full line of St. Croix blanks for our distribution in Canada.
All indications of their prototype testing are that this was something many wanted and missing in their 'categories' .
Being moderate action will be a great replacement for those previously relying on the S-Glass but wanted more the sensitivity of graphite. Now they will have it. I look for other possibilities for using this blank in my rodbuilding with the moderate tip action.

I am looking forward to building on the MM blanks and especially some late fall smallie and walleye 'field testing' up here.

I know what you mean about the popular 68mxf and also I am looking forward to the 70mhxf. Also they are having available a 7'6 blank to check out that's new. 2002 should be another good year with St. Croix innovation.

For popping blanks you might check into Shikari series, as they are very nice HS7600 and P703 are a couple to consider.

Rich
Richard's Rod & Reel
Solyrich Custom Rods

RIch - XF question
Posted by: Billy 40 (---.dynamic.ziplink.net)
Date: August 23, 2001 07:43PM

Rich - about these 68MXF blanks. What type of fishing (Jig & Pig, Topwater, etc) are they mainly used for? I know what the line/lure ratings are, but I was thinking about using these for 1 ounce jigs bounced along teh bottom. No casting, just straight dropped down to the bottom, and jigged. This is Saltwater fishing for Fluke in 10-30 feet of water. I know St. Croix rods are a bit under-rated, but do not want to buy it only to find it's not what I hoped.

Thanks, Billy

Re: RIch - XF question
Posted by: Rich Garbowski (---.voyageur.ca)
Date: August 24, 2001 09:48AM

Billy,
No, the 3C68MXF would not really suit your situation for the heavy weights. It's better used as a casting instrument and even finesse jig lighter weight situations. You might want to consider 3C70HF, but maybe the new blank as Gerald mentioned 3C70MHXF would suit, but at the top range of the lure rating up to 1 oz. I would lean toward the heavy power. I think it would still give a fair degree of sensitivity, but then again med. heavy. It's a toss up with what you're going to do. I understand your ambivalence.
The 3C68MXF makes a nice overall casting rod. Many like it as an ideal fluke rod, but is decent as topwater and most plastic bait situations at about 1/4 oz. ideal. I might prefer the 3C66MF for topwater, but I digress.

IMHO

Rich
Richard's Rod & Reel

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster