I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Smoky Mtn Flyrod
Posted by: LonnieD (---.dialup.mindspring.com)
Date: August 22, 2001 11:00AM

'Time to gear up for my semiannual sojourn in the Smokies! I want to build something new and would appreciate suggestions from folks familiar with small stream gear. My store-bought full-flex Orvis 8'6" 4wt is a tad too much for the type (as in size) trout I'm able to fool; my ST Croix SCIV 7'6" 3wt is too fast (even with the 4wt Sage quiet taper line) for the length of casts I'm able to muster. It's not much help trying to highstick the pocket water, either. Any suggestion for the "just right" setup? I'm allergic to people when I vacation, so most of my fishing will be way upstream in the mountain laurel.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Smoky Mtn Flyrod
Posted by: Clyde Dent (206.62.91.---)
Date: August 22, 2001 11:11AM

Lonnie,
It has been awhile since I've fished the Smokies (near Gatlinburg), but my main recollection is that I occasionally snagged my backcast in overhanging trees. Regarding fly rod length, I'd go with 7' or no more than 7-1/2'. A 3-weight or 4-weight should be fine.
I hired a guide, and the first fly he tied on my leader was a version of the “Yallerhammer.” The rainbows, yes, were very small. In fact, a 7" fish is a “keeper” for those so inclined.
My guide, born and raised in the area, also fished. He used backing for his fly line and cast it well.
In my opinion, your St. Croix 3 wt. ought to work OK.
Clyde Dent

Posted by: gary (141.211.234.---)
Date: August 22, 2001 01:27PM

Look at the Lamiglas fiberglas pack rods. 7' 3 wt 5 pc I think.
Slower action so you can get some control, light line rating and the fact it breaks down nice and small for packing in. I think Clemens have some blems on sale if not check with all the usual suppliers for the stock one. I built th e8' 5 wt 6 pc. It's done trout in Michigan and Calgary and smallies in Ohio. I just jam it in the briefcase when I have to go on the road.

Posted by: tom drury (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: August 22, 2001 03:38PM

I am from Asheville, NC and my go to rod is a 6ft6in Lamiglass 3wt. it will throw a 2wt to a 4wt line. If i am in a very small stream, I may go to a 3wt 5ft graphite I got from Rainshadow. Again if I am fishing a close stream, I will use a 4wt line. I do not back cast the rod, I let the line lay in the water down stream and then whip it forward and shoot the line up stream. By the way I built the 3wt with oversize guides so I would not restrict the line flow.
Bob at Custom Tackle supplied me with the above blanks. He has the fiberglass in 4 piece blems, that I have yet to have a problem with after building over 15 of them. He also has the 6ft6in 3wt in a 9 piece rod that I am currently building.
If you are going to be in my area, I have about 8 rods in the catagory that you are looking for and you are welcome to try them.
E-mail me at drurytom@aol.com if I can help you.

tom

Posted by: Rick Funcik (---.dsl.stlsmo.swbell.net)
Date: August 22, 2001 11:11PM

I second Tom D's recommendation of the Lami fiberglass 3 wts, I use the 6'6" often. My home water here is pretty tiny too, 4 to 8 ft wide, and I feel I get great control with this rod at these close ranges. Yes, it responds to a variety of casting techniques including some not in any book! they're sweet, simple little blanks for little money.

Thanks!
Posted by: LonnieD (---.dialup.mindspring.com)
Date: August 23, 2001 02:18PM

Good comments, all...which is to be expected on this board! The fiberglass sounds like a good route to take...I'll let you know how it goes.

Re: Thanks!
Posted by: David Beeler (---.KNVL.splitrock.net)
Date: August 24, 2001 08:55PM

I live in the Smokies and use (most of the time) a 7 1/2 ft. Orvis One Weight. Great on these streams for drys. 3 Wt is plenty for weighted nymphs. Try using the circle cast to avoid the tree behind. It works great. Hope you have good luck on your trip. By the way, try a yellow palmer and a parachute adams. Caddis flies work well at higher elevations.

Posted by: Todd (---.vanc2.pacifier.com)
Date: August 25, 2001 02:12PM

Lonnie, I have to tell you that I keep one of the fiberglass "FL783-9" and "FL904-10" with me always. These little rods not only handle small water but can do a good sized stream also. I was on the Deschutes river yesterday fishing Bow's and when the fish began to get old hat on my 9' #4 I got out the 6'6" #3. With that rod (and I have a little 2" reel on it) a 14" Rainbow is like a Steelhead.

Todd

Posted by: jnail (---.unitelc.com)
Date: August 27, 2001 07:28PM

I've got a 6'6" 2 wt built on a pac-bay blank. I built it to fish small creeks in Rocky Mountain National Park. some are so small you can touch both sides. anyway,I absolutely love this rod for small streams, you could cast it in a closet, but it still has power enuff to throw a size 12 royal wulf with a bead head dropper in a little wind. If I have the choice, and it is somewhere I won't have to mend too much, I will pick up this rod before my 8 1/2 ft Loomis GL3 4wt!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster