I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Fish wrap
Posted by: Steve (---.mobile1.al.home.com)
Date: August 21, 2001 11:13PM

Here's what I did. I measured the diameter of the blank and tried to space (paralell to the axis) the fish equivilant to that measurement. I found that the angles of the dorsal and anal fins were too wide. So I added 60% to the blank diameter and the fish came out perfect. But the problem I had was that only three fish could be wrapped on a 180mm length because the centers were so far apart. To get more fish on the blank with in that length, should I make another wrap with the fish centered between the other three and maybe get five to six fish on the top side of the wrap? Also, I made it in D size thread, if I use A size thread would I need to wrap double threads for each pass? This was my first attempt at this wrap and I was amazed at how simple this wrap is but still eye catching.

Thanks,
Steve

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Fish wrap
Posted by: Davesrods (---.dsl.wchtks.swbell.net)
Date: August 22, 2001 01:43AM

What I have done is when you get your fish in I stop and even out the threads on both side of fish, then I start another design between the fish, sometimes it's a diamond wrap or or I just make one up.. All the poles I make are small in diameter so I have to stretch out the spacing also, but I think you can add any design you want to the rod.. By the way how long did it take you to do the fish??? The fastest I can do it is 10 hours...

Re: Fish wrap
Posted by: Billy 40 (---.dynamic.ziplink.net)
Date: August 22, 2001 08:22PM

Steve - you ever think of making the fish swim across the rod as opposed to up or down? This will give you a fuller wrap with more fish. Some guys do not like the fish going across the axis though, just thought I'd throw that at you.

You are wrapping the pattern single, if you wrap another set of fish between the ones you've already made, this will fill in the background.. Unfortunately, I think it would look better if you did both sets of fish at the same time, and it sounds like you've already completed one set of fish. If that's the case, you can put a Chevron, diamond, shaded, or a simple pattern that wouldn't overpower the fish wrap you've already done.

If using A, you just use A, do not double anything. it will just take a little bit longer then D, but will yield a crisper pattern in my opinion.

If you choose to wrap the fish acroos the axis, I'd estimate taking teh diameter of the blank, and subtracting about 40% as opposed t adding 60% for the fish up/down teh rod.

Billy

Re: Fish wrap across the axis
Posted by: Chef Jim (---.015.popsite.net)
Date: August 23, 2001 04:34AM

You can fit more fish per sq.inch going across the axis using 2. You can double that by using 4 axis, in fact you can triple that if you make your guide thread go 90 degrees(?) to the next axis so that they spiral around.
[momentoffame.com]
here's an example, did it just for fun, don't know if I can do it again(or want to!) or achieve the same spacing(difficult). You need to know that this is the Seeker Ulua93 and is almost 2" in diameter.

Re: Fish wrap across the axis
Posted by: Steve (---.mobile1.al.home.com)
Date: August 24, 2001 11:10PM

Davesrods,
It took maybe 2.5 hours to do the set it up and do just the fish. That's not counting the fill threads but just enough threads to maek the fish. The wrap I did had three fish on the bottom and four on top paralell to the axis. I think I may go with perpendicular to the axis just to get more fish on the wrap. This was my first attempt at the fish wrap and was quite suprised at how easy it was. I'm having more trouble picking colors for the fish and colors for the trim bands and how I want to do the bands.

Steve

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster