I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Scratches on glossy blanks
Posted by: Paul McRoberts (---.dsl.pltn13.pacbell.net)
Date: June 10, 2006 09:33AM

Does anyone know of any tricks to get rid of the surface scratches on glossy blanks. I have some flyrod blanks that have a number of surface scratches that are so numerous, it almost gives those areas a matte looking finish. The sections were banded together, so I am figuring the scratches are a result of rubbing against the plastic bag and themselves. Short of epoxying the entire blank, are there any other alternatives? Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Scratches on glossy blanks
Posted by: Emory Harry (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: June 10, 2006 10:02AM

Paul,
I think that I would first try some polishing wax to see it that will hide the marks. If that does not work you might try one of the rubbing compounds that are intended to polish out marks in car paint. Maybe someone else has some better ideas but if I were you I think that I would try it on a section of the butt of the blank first that will not show when the rod is done and I would not be too aggressive with the rubbing. The clear coat on most blanks is a pretty thin coating. I have seen this problem numerous times before and It would be interesting to know how you come out.

Posted by: Mick McComesky (---.244.0.238.Dial1.StLouis1.Level3.net)
Date: June 10, 2006 10:35AM

I use Meguiars Scratch X on all gloss blanks. I haven't found anything better for surface scratches and rub markings, not to mention just general polishing. It is not aggresive at all so you really have to work to completely remove finish.

Date: June 10, 2006 10:52AM

Mick,
Where do you buy it and is it a paste? Does the blank have to be cleaned after using it or can you apply epoxy over it directly?

Posted by: James(Doc) Labanowski (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: June 10, 2006 10:53AM

Hi Paul I am really rough on my gear and probably have scratches on everything. If you want smoothe and shinney I think you have to look at one of the finishes - maybe permagloss(not sure). If you just want to spiff em up a little, I find Lemon Pledge works for me but the scratches are still there just a bit more shiney

Posted by: Jack Goodwin (---.caltel.com)
Date: June 10, 2006 10:53AM

I am new and learning so bear with me. Do you want to use any type of wax before you wrap? Will that not hurt the epoxy?
Thanks Jack

Posted by: James(Doc) Labanowski (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: June 10, 2006 10:56AM

Hi Jack - we are talking about an completed rod here I believe. I think waxes or lubricants before wrapping would be disasterous. Heck I even find using etoh (alcohol) sometimes causes some extra work.

Posted by: Mick McComesky (---.244.0.238.Dial1.StLouis1.Level3.net)
Date: June 10, 2006 11:49AM

Emory, it is a thin paste and comes in a large squeeze tube. I got it at Kmart and I've seen it in all auto shops like Carquest, Autozone, etc. I put it on a terry cloth towel and just go to town. I've never had any problems with builds after polishing, but I do "scrub" it down with a clean towel after polishing to make sure I don't have any residue. It's really good stuff.

[www.amazon.com]

Date: June 10, 2006 11:56AM

Mick,
Thank you. I am going to give it a try. If it works well I will take all of the credit and if it does not I will blame you.

Posted by: Lynn Williams (---.clvdoh.adelphia.net)
Date: June 10, 2006 12:21PM

Paul
I had a friend give me a Tibet Almond Stick about three years ago and it works very well.
The Almond Stick is used on furniture but if you do an internet search on it you will see that it is used on lots of things like counter tops, glass, mirrors etc.
Like Doc said use this product on a finished rod only.

www.zcwinc.com/

Lynn

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.an1.nyc41.da.uu.net)
Date: June 10, 2006 02:00PM

Try a little toothpaste thinned with water to a thin paste.

Posted by: Steve Rushing (---.asm.bellsouth.net)
Date: June 10, 2006 06:39PM

I use Sratch X also, followed with the Meguiars wax.

Posted by: Mick McComesky (---.244.0.199.Dial1.StLouis1.Level3.net)
Date: June 10, 2006 11:40PM

Fair enough Emory, following the craftsman's creed, LOL. It does take some elbow grease so if it doesn't work for you, I'll just say it's because you are getting feeble and remain blameless!

Posted by: Joe Brenner (---.swifttrans.com)
Date: June 12, 2006 11:44AM

The wax will also keep your rods shiny....the dirt is easily removed with a light swish of a terry cloth towel. Dirt doesn't adhere to the blank I bet you could even use a duster to clean a rod after a good coat of wax. A five min wax job will save you lots of time later trying to get dried slime/weeds off your blank when fishing the salad for bass etc.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster