I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

maeking pens
Posted by: Dan E (---.tnt2.rdu1.da.uu.net)
Date: August 21, 2001 07:30AM

I've been followg the discussions on spray treatments over decals and marking pens. What is the best marking pen (small diameter) for writing on blanks? Which ones need a clear coat before the epoxy and why?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: maeking pens
Posted by: John Kreeger (---.dhcp.missouri.edu)
Date: August 21, 2001 07:49AM

What colors do you intend to used? There are many pens out there, but there are certain other considerations if you desire metallics.

Posted by: elrod (150.199.191.---)
Date: August 21, 2001 12:48PM

Gel pens have worked terrific for me. They come in a range of colors, including metallics. I have not applied CP over it and has been compatible with Crystal Coat (which if anything is going to strip it, I would think it would be this). The other method I used for 5 years was a fine point caligraphy pen and Testors Model Masters paint. (get just about anywhere) This does require two coats of CP prior to Crystal Coat, but not with the epoxy based finishes.

Posted by: Dan E (---.tnt14.tco2.da.uu.net)
Date: August 21, 2001 08:35PM

Yes, I'd like to use a metallic or a colored metallic pen. I don't want to use the Pilot "paint" type metallic pens as the point is not fine enough. I'm going to use Flex Coat to cover. Any suggestions?

Posted by: Davesrods (---.dsl.wchtks.swbell.net)
Date: August 22, 2001 01:50AM

I have spent a lot of money on pens, and I think it depends on what color preserver you use and what finish you use.. The gel pens will not work very good if you are using Guderod 811, or Dura Gloss finish.. The only way it works if you use that clear coat spray over it.. I bought Koh I Noor pens, you can get any color of ink for them and if you buy the whole set you can use the right point for the right rod, also they work on Bamboo.. If you want to buy a set of Kohinoor go to @#$%& and there is an art supplies store selling a whole set for 59.99.. If you want just 1 pen they are 25.00 and 15 for an extra point.. Thanks Dave

Posted by: John Kreeger (---.dhcp.missouri.edu)
Date: August 22, 2001 09:12AM

I don't believe the Koh-i-nor pens can use metallic inks (unless something has changed since I last checked).

The right gel pen will work with Gudebrod 811 CP and any duragloss product you care to use. Many, many brands out there.

Posted by: Kerry (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: August 22, 2001 05:43PM

you have to look at the label on gel pens. Not all are permanent. when I tried to put a coat of Flexcoat CP on them, some of them ran or smudged. Just need to look at the package and a number of them also go down to a 4mm line for a finer script.

Kerry

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster