I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Build Off?
Posted by: Michael Joyce (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: April 09, 2006 10:27PM

Sorry Mike, I was responding to Kevin K's above post...thats where the 1998 World Champion Rod Builders Belt currently resides, I think.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Milton (Hank) Aldridge (---.maine.res.rr.com)
Date: April 09, 2006 10:31PM

I think you guys are getting too far off base. This needs to be kept simple. Like the bikeer build off each builder designs and builds their own style of bike. The bikes has 2 wheels, handle bars, gas tank, motor, ect and what the builder does with them makes them unique. Builders like Indian Larry stuck to the more traditional style where Chica was far from traditional but that's what made the contest so great. Just like the show the rods should be judged by the public which in our case would be mostly other rod builders. There is no cash prize here just the pride in doing it and maybe winning. If someone feelings is going to get hurt if they don't win then they should not enter.

Maybe hold 6 contest throughout the year. Have the six winning rod displayed at Charlotte (or whatever city the show will be at) and have the public pick a grand winner. Maybe a trophy given to the winner.

Mike the Globle Rod project is a great idea and it will be wonderful if it continued on and become even greater but I don't think this would be the venue for those rods.

Andy stated that some of the rods he sees posted are horendous to him. I'm can't say that about any of the rods posted in the photo section because to every builder their rod is a work of art of their own. Whether Andy or I agree or disagree on rods is one thing that makes public voting the thing that makes this type of contest work.

I know this is only chatter and more than likely won't get off the ground but I still think it's a great idea and a lot of fun.

Hank
On The Rocks Fishing
Wells, ME.

Posted by: Stan Gregory (---.dyn.sprint-hsd.net)
Date: April 09, 2006 10:32PM

I doubt if this idea will ever take hold as many of us are hobby builders. I agree with Billy and would rather have the friendship and generous sharing of ideas & techniques than competition. Just my thoughts.

Stan

Posted by: Tom Cooney (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: April 09, 2006 10:51PM

Back in those days life was simpiler. There plenty of manufacturers willing to get involved as long as somebody was running the show. Rod building was far from being as sophisticated
as it is today and the contest gave rodbuilding and those fortunate enough to make the cut a
shot in the arm Don`t forget you didn`t have the communications or media exposure possible
today. Rod Crafters did not get involved because it was their policy that rod builders should not compete. AS far as I know there were more entrants than members of Rodcrafters.
I don`t think that today such a thing is necessary as well as believe that it could divide
a lot of people. Rodbuiilders have the good fortune of partaking in a hobby where teaching and
sharing is more important than who is the best. I am afraid that a contest today would
jepardize that.
Also finding someone or a company to run it on the scale that Varmac did isn`t very likely.
Varmac footed the bill for the advertising, the judging and everything else required to make
it a class act.
It served a purpose at a time that it was good for rod building but I honestly don`t think that it is
needed today or that it would be a benefit to the craft.
Yes Billy , I know exactly who you are talking about.
Tom Cooney

Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: April 09, 2006 10:59PM

Maybe this would not be such a good idea for the more experienced
builders. After all, this is a craft and a good craftsman judges himself
more than anybody else could and is confident of their abilities. He
doesnt need any acknowlagement even from his peers.
However, those who are new this are always looking for appraisal
and critique from others so they can hone their skills and gain
confidence their ideas and workmanship. A well ran compitition
for begginer's and intermediate buiders I think would be a good thing.

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: April 09, 2006 11:07PM

Because of the much greater flexibility at the 2007 Rod Builders Show, I plan to have an area for rods to be displayed in tall glass cases (very secure) for all the attendees to see as they come in through the ticket line next year. But I'd rather not have a competition, just a nice, varied display of custom rods from a wide assortment of builders. The upcoming event will have a lot more general interest fishermen in attendance and I'd like to really showcase some beautiful custom rods in a manner that will greatly impress them.

More information later this summer.

Posted by: Andy Dear (---.231.14.143.Dial1.Houston1.Level3.net)
Date: April 09, 2006 11:19PM

I tend to agree with Billy, Stan and Tom. I have never liked anything too competitive save for a "whoever catches the biggest fish buys dinner" sort of thing. Competitions like this (to me at least) always tend to bring out the best and worst in people, unless you have a group of "ego-less" individuals who are in it more for the brotherhood than the trophy.

Hank, you said "Andy stated that some of the rods he sees posted are horendous to him. I'm can't say that about any of the rods posted in the photo section because to every builder their rod is a work of art of their own."

That's exactly my point. What I like to see in a rod is not going to be what everyone else likes to see in a rod, so what's the point in degrading somebody else's work because of a personal aesthetic taste issue, which is what 90% of this would boil down to.

Every rod is perfect in the eye of the beholder, as long as it catches fish right?

Andy Dear
lamar Fishing Products

Posted by: Stan Gregory (---.dyn.sprint-hsd.net)
Date: April 09, 2006 11:22PM

Tom, that makes a lot of sense. Gives many of us something to work towards.

Stan

Posted by: John Blair (---.rgv.res.rr.com)
Date: April 09, 2006 11:26PM

I guess the thing that interest me the most is pure SELFISHNESS. Yes I build and repair rods for more than just a hobby, but I never consider myself an artist or even a craftsman. I guess this idea to me doesn't even come close to a competition. I think what it would be like to see TK do some of his fine sophisticated thread work. To look over Billy V's shoulder and see him create some of his great butt wraps. To be with Putter and see how he makes a simple process becomes something of lasting beauty. To watch Andy Dear take a piece of wood and turn it into something that I can only dream about doing. Oh yeah how many of us would love to be in their shop with Doc Ski and Ken Preston for a week. There are so many craftsman out there it would be impossible to list them all. Yes there would have to be a winner but I don't foresee any losers. If there are opportunities to advertise and improve our chosen addiction then I would hope the leaders of our community would explore it. It is too late for me but I do have some grandkids and I think there would be worse things a person could do in life than have the opportunity to make a livelihood from rod building. Putter made a profound statement in one of his videos "Not many people can make a living building rods". I agree but with a sense of optimism maybe more could. I can remember when tourney bass fisherman couldn't make a living fishing....................JUST MY OPINION

Big John
Rio Hondo, Texas
Blessed are those who can give without remembering and take without forgetting

Posted by: William Bartlett (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: April 10, 2006 01:44AM

Sorry to be a party pooper guys. But I agree with billy and the ego issue. I don't know if any of you have been involved in tournament Bass fishing. Probably a good many of you have. But in my experience, if you ask a guy what he's catching his fish on, or if you're a beginner trying to learn, forget it. In a competition where money or prestige are involved, you will get no help or questions answered. Just because they are afraid to tell something that's going to get them beaten. That's mostly why I got out of it. You can't learn anything new because nobody wants to talk. I'd hate to see that happen to such a comeradery oriented undertaking as this. It'd be a shame not to mention a waste. My .02 for what it's worth.

Bill in WV

Posted by: Michael Friddle (166.82.135.---)
Date: April 10, 2006 07:40AM

Ok, from what I have gathered we all know that we live in the "United States Of The Offended" and can't change that. All things said about this, good or bad, have been good points. I am new here and have not been able to feel out most of the rod maker veterans that I first thought would partake in this events attitudes but it seems they have expressed there feelings already.
So what about some of the other great ideas. What if it was for beginners-intermediate to participate in? I wouldn't dare try to enter against Billy but maybe Tom (Just kidding). Point is I think it would be a lot of fun for us beginners and still be something that the vets can get involved with by judging them. Maybe a small piece in Rod Maker Magazine that showcases a winner. Seems like this would inspire a lot of new builders to be better builders. All votes could be made at Rodbuilder.org and could be done so that no comments could be made about someone work but just a pole where you pick the rod. Maybe this way my feelings would not be hurt when Andy calls my rod horrific (Kidding again).
I won’t say anymore about this. The idea was to put a thought into Toms head and let him run with it if he chooses.
Just a thought.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/10/2006 12:35PM by Michael Friddle.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: April 10, 2006 08:46AM

I do appreciate your taking the time to make the suggestion and for everyone who is against such a competition you can likely find another who would be all for it. But my plate is a bit full and I'll probably just stay with the idea of a nice display for the folks at the 2007 event. No reason that someone else can't pick up your ball and run with it, but it's going to be a bit more than I'm able to get personally involved with at the moment.

Posted by: Andy Dear (---.231.14.214.Dial1.Houston1.Level3.net)
Date: April 10, 2006 09:07AM

Mike...it was horendous...not horrific....big difference! LOL!

Andy Dear
Lamar Fishing Products

Posted by: Mud Hole Custom Tackle (---.235.204.68.cfl.res.rr.com)
Date: April 10, 2006 09:09AM

Great idea Tom - Mud Hole pick up that ball and run with it - we'll look at doing some type of fun "event" open to everyone at the show (key word being FUN).

Tom McNamara
Mud Hole Custom Tackle
[www.mudhole.com]

Posted by: Joe Brenner (---.swifttrans.com)
Date: April 10, 2006 10:24AM

Another website hosted a similar sort of idea...

They did a Rod Swap.....I think they have done a couple...they would list a Rod type....for example everyone build a 9' 5wt fly rod.......with a 75.00 cost of parts. Anyone interested signs up....the person in charge randomly selects who receives who's rod. Then they take pics of all the rods and post them. Think maybe everyone built and sent their rods to the organizer with few bucks for shipping. Sounds like the people involved enjoyed it.

Posted by: steve parks (---.mob.bellsouth.net)
Date: April 10, 2006 04:20PM

If I could build a rod nice enough to be displayed I'd do it in a heart beat. LOL

Who needs a competition? Too many firendships would be blinded by egos.

Besides....if I could build a rod that nice....I'd rather have it on the cover of RM than beating out someone in a competition.

Steve

Posted by: Travis Thompson (---.dhcp.mdsn.wi.charter.com)
Date: April 10, 2006 11:16PM

I think it could be very easy to achive and I think it could be very entertaining. Do you think the builders in the biker build off have bruised egos "you Bet" So what!! I love to compete no matter if its how fast I can brush my teeth or how much moutaindew I can drink in 24 hours. Oh and it 27 cans. I won too!!
Here it is. Every two months there are 2 contestants drawn for a Given catagory in which they sumbitted for. There is a list of company sponsers. The sponsers supply everything and anything needed to complete their custom rod. After the two month competion date the rod is sent to the orginizer say it be Tom. The rod gets sent to each and every sponser and judged based on anything they want. Each sponser gets the rod for one week and can do whatever he/she wants to test this rod in order to judge it. If the sponser wants to only judge it on looks fine If they want to take it fishing fine as long as they are fishing for what it was intended for. After all the scoring has been completed the numbers are compiled and the winner will be annonunced. Prize for winning will be pre determined but not announced. Completed rod will be @#$%& off for top doller for charity. Thats my thinking anyhow. Voice your opinions. Remember if you put your name into compete you are saying you can take the abuse of not winning. Your work may be great but not as good as the other persons.

Posted by: Steve Kartalia (---.ferc.gov)
Date: April 11, 2006 09:04AM

Judging by the photo page, the rods generated from such a contest would make one heck of a nice photo album. The idea of the proceeds going to charity is a good one. That aspect of any competition tends to keep people on their best behavior (no crybabies and temper tantrums). Personally, I don't like subjective competitions. That's why I ran track instead of competing in figure skating. Guy who crosses the line first wins, end of story. Well, that and the fact that I don't own any sequined, v-neck, spandex jumpsuits.

Posted by: Emory Harry (67.170.180.---)
Date: April 11, 2006 07:46PM

I am not sure how good an idea this is and I am not in the same league as others as far as doing things like weaves so I do not want to enter the competition but if you used comparable blanks I will volunteer to make the measurements to determine which rod has the highest resonant frequency and performance for you if you want to include that as part of the criteria to remove some of the subjectivity.

Steve,
I think that you would really look cute in sequined spandex.

Posted by: Steve Kartalia (---.ferc.gov)
Date: April 12, 2006 10:33AM

LOL, Emory. I think I'll pass up the opportunity to enhance cuteness and just stick with jeans and t-shirts.

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster