I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Rod Sugestion
Posted by: Paul O (---.dialup.umn.edu)
Date: August 19, 2001 07:17PM

Hi,

Building a rod for a friend of mine. He decided on a Lamiglass 7' 2 piece 4-10 LBS and 1/4 - 1/2 Lure weight. When the blank came in I talked to him about it and the tip was too firm.

He will be using this rod for 1 - 2 lbs walleyes and wants the tip to be very 'soft'. Meaning it will bend very easily when a small walleye takes the jig. That way the fish will not feel any resistance from the pole.

Any sugestions on a blank. The only criteria that he wants is 7ft. 2 piece and a 'Soft' tip.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Rod Suggestion
Posted by: Russell (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: August 19, 2001 07:56PM

When you get a softer tip the whole rod is liable to be softer as well. But I would think maybe the Loomis W842 or MB842 might do the trick. I guess it's hard to explain how soft, soft is. He could always look at a fiberglass live bait blank. They usually have very soft tips.

Sorry
Posted by: Russell (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: August 19, 2001 07:56PM

Sorry, I don't think those are 2-piece rods. Maybe they come in 2-piece models. I don't know.

Re: Sorry
Posted by: Bob Vasko (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: August 20, 2001 01:04PM

I recently built a very nice walleye rod on the GUSAB70LXF. The only problem is that it's a one piece rod, but it has an extra fast very soft tip that tapers down into a nice stiff butt section. One of my customers recently landed an 11lb 11 oz walleye during a tournament. Another shorter rod that has a nice extra fast soft tip is the St. Croix 3s63mxf, which is a 6'3" blank. Hope this helps. Bob Vasko

Re: Sorry
Posted by: Paul O (---.iwco.com)
Date: August 20, 2001 02:17PM

Yes, there are a few rods that would work, but they are all 1 piece. he goes to Canada fishing 8-10 times a year (lucky him). And a short 2 piece rod travels so much easier and safer that a long 1 piece.

Thanx

PO

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster