I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Large diameter reamining
Posted by: Michael Friddle (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: March 31, 2006 05:59PM

How do you guys ream large diameters in cork /EVA?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Large diameter reamining
Posted by: Stan Grace (---.hln-mt.client.bresnan.net)
Date: March 31, 2006 06:04PM

You need a reamer that is of the proper dimension. It is no different than reaming smaller diameters except for the size of the tool used. What diameter are you contemplating?

Stan Grace
Helena, MT
"Our best is none too good"

Date: March 31, 2006 06:40PM

3/4"

Posted by: Stan Grace (---.hln-mt.client.bresnan.net)
Date: March 31, 2006 07:39PM

What is your starting diameter? A reamer can be made from a piece of scrap blank or similarly tapered shaft coated with reamer grit or strips of sanding tape available from many rod building suppliers. I make my own using strips cut from 80 grit sanding belts spiral wrapped and glued to the appropriate shaft. There is a lot of information available by searching earlier posts on this subject.

Stan Grace
Helena, MT
"Our best is none too good"

Re: Large diameter remaining
Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: March 31, 2006 08:36PM

Michael, If you're doing cork rings, I would drill them all out to the smallest size diameter that the handle portion of the blank is BEFORE you glue them up. That will save you a lot of reaming. Reaming a 1/4" grip to 3/4 ain't gonna be easy!!

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Brad Rodgers (---.sttnwaho.dynamic.covad.net)
Date: March 31, 2006 08:57PM

Cabelas has some pretty big reamers. I was suprised how big the large one was. Thinking the large size would be an appropriate size for a blank I was using and not taping it I ordered one but when I recieved it in the mail it was real obvious real quick just by looking at it it was wayyyyyy to big for the blank I was using so I had to send it back and get the small which even surprised me too how big it was.
BjR

Posted by: Jay Lancaster (12.174.137.---)
Date: March 31, 2006 09:02PM

I've not run into an occasion yet that I've really needed to ream EVA. It's much easier to order a larger size not to mention that stuff stretches like there's no tomorrow. With plenty of Rod Bond and a bit of force you can stretch & seat that stuff further down that blank than you think.

Cork, try the flex coat arbor bits. Either do one with a 3/4" spade bit or with the largest one you can find. Then ream...saves a ton of wrist action (now there's a joke waiting to happen).

Jay

Re: Large diameter remaining
Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: March 31, 2006 09:18PM

I do not ream EVA foam. What I do is take the foam and let it free fall down the blank, then I mark the blank where the foam stops. I use Rod Bond for a glueing agent. Now 6 inches above my mark I spread my glue, now place the foam gripe on the blank. Let it fall. Next grab the very top of the grip with your thumb and fr-finger only. Now squeeze tight and shove down an do not stop until you get where you want the grip to be. What you do by squeezing the top of the foam is make a air pocket so the foam will slide down. If you stop while shoving down, that’s where the grip will stay
Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: al hutchison (---.idcnet.com)
Date: April 01, 2006 05:28AM

i get a round file and put it in a drill turning it in the reverse direction to ream holes to the size i need. Of course I have different size files around.

Date: April 01, 2006 08:17AM

Guys I need to ream the EVA to almost 1" and can't find a ream that large. I purchased the large from cabelas but it's not even close to being large enough. This is going on a 80# rod with a unibutt so the EVA will be at the end of that 80# blank. I have a couple more 80# blanks so I guess I will just have to cut one up for reaming and make my own reamer.

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: April 01, 2006 09:43AM

Like I and others said use rod bond and force the sucker on . that hole will streach 2 times its size
Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: hill norvell (---.jnu.acsalaska.net)
Date: April 01, 2006 12:11PM

I have faced this building my halibut rods....I went and bought a wood dowell of the approximate size needed, cut a spiral of sand paper and epoxy it on, cut the length of dowell needed for the reemer, drill out a hole in one end of the dowell, insert a piece of straight metal...epoxy it in (coat hanger will last for a few grips and then brake)..and then just put it in a hand drill. Make the but end a tad thicker than the reel end since the blank is tappered. I put EVA in the oven for about 2-4 minutes at 150 and this really loosens them up also... I am still learning but this has been my approach..

hill

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: April 01, 2006 04:53PM

Michael, What is the ID of the EVA?? If you need it to fit a 1 in blank, the EVA ID doesn't need to be near that size. If done properly, it will stratch at LEAST 1 1/2 times and possibly almost double. Read this method [www.rodbuilding.org]

Mike

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster