I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Measuring out threadmaster
Posted by: Matt Ralston (---.safeco.com)
Date: March 24, 2006 12:36PM

I've got a real simple newbie question

Just got my first order of Threadmaster. I'm used to the Flexcoat syringes and have been using FC lite for fly rods.

How are y'all getting the TM in equal proportions? Are you using syringes and if so, where to get them? is there another method?

thanks much.

Matt

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Measuring out threadmaster
Posted by: Robert crabtree (---.iad.untd.com)
Date: March 24, 2006 01:32PM

regular flex coat syringes will work watch some that you buy at hobby stores though some have a silicon coating inside wich dont work well with finish many sponsers on the left carry them....

Posted by: Michael Friddle (166.82.135.---)
Date: March 24, 2006 02:05PM

What effect will the silicone have on epoxy? The reason I ask is because I have access to syringes cheap and would like to try different ones to see if any of them will work. If I new what effect to look for it might save me some time.
Thanks for your help!!

Posted by: Bill Rice (---.254.157.75.Dial1.Orlando1.Level3.net)
Date: March 24, 2006 02:37PM

Michael

Silicone will leave a bunch of fish eye looking dips in the finish of the rod. Stay away from using any silicone or oil in the rod room, it is far easyer to avoid than to clean it up!!!

Tight Lines
Bill

Posted by: Aaron Harp (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: March 24, 2006 03:22PM

Matt: Silicone is deadly to your finish. I ran out of FC syringes last fall. At my wife's suggestion, I bought a couple of glass syringes from [www.sciplus.com] for measuring epoxies. I clean them out with alcohol and they are pretty cool. It pays to have wife who's a chemist.

My next epoxy purchase will be Threadmaster. People speak highly of it.

Good luck.

Aaron

Posted by: Andy Dear (---.stic.net)
Date: March 24, 2006 03:38PM

We'll have syringes available next month.

Andy Dear
www.lamarfishing.com

Posted by: Bill Koski (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: March 24, 2006 03:51PM

I recently did a 9 foot, 3 weight, single foot fly rod using Threadmaster. I measured by eye, 15 drops of each intro a real small cup. I did two coats ( total of 60 "drops") and it worked for me. I figure, doing 3 rods a year, I will run out of Threadmaster Spring of 2012. Question is, what am I going to do with 18 more fly rods?????

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.248.71.19.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: March 24, 2006 04:01PM

Send me several ?? LOL

Posted by: Bill Brochue (---.dsl.lsan03.pacbell.net)
Date: March 24, 2006 04:02PM

Try these.
Disposable Pipettes, ( 5 mil graduated )
McMaster-Carr
PN 40865T92 50 per pkg. $ 12.00 Pkg.

Good Luck

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/24/2006 04:04PM by Bill Brochue.

Posted by: Stan Gregory (---.dyn.sprint-hsd.net)
Date: March 24, 2006 06:47PM

I use syringes and plug-in caps that fit into medication bottles. They're used to measure liquid medication for administration to children. I clean the syringes and bottle tops with denatured alcohol prior to use.

Found these at Walgreen's and bought two sets. I've been using these syringes for over a year and haven't had a fish-eye yet.

The syringe tip is off-set towards the edge of the syringe itself (not center placed). This makes it easier to get any air out.

Stan

Posted by: Edward D. Smith (---.ard.bellsouth.net)
Date: March 24, 2006 08:28PM

Until Andy Dear starts providing syringes, buy a set of flexcoats from one of the sponsors. Where is Mike Barkley? Drill a hole in the top of the TM that is slightly smaller than the sypringe. Insert the syringe tip in the hole you drill. I never clean or remove the syringes until I empty the bottle. I do clean my syringes with denatured alchol after I empty a 4-8 oz bottle of finish. I learned this trick from Mike and he can explain this better than I can. I have yet to have a foul up when using the syringes as a measuring device.

Ed Smith

Posted by: Rob Grider (---.client.insightBB.com)
Date: March 24, 2006 08:49PM

I've used inexpensive metal measuring spoons for years, a level 1/2 teaspoon of each part mixed within the 1 tablespoon spoon. Wipe out and clean with acetone and good to use again and again. Never had a problem with Threadmaster or any epoxy for that matter not setting up due to unequal amounts.

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.dyn.sprint-hsd.net)
Date: March 24, 2006 10:13PM

When your done using your syringes. Back the plunger out almost to the top of the tube. Some times when you leave them compressed the rubber part of the plunger will stick in the bottm and pull off the staft if you don't. by leaving it extended it automaticly breaks free when you depress it for your next use.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: March 25, 2006 02:46AM

I'm a little behind, Ed. I drill a small hole in the finish bottle caps just big enough for the syringe tips to fit in tightly. Turn the bottles upside down and draw the finish out and empty into cup (replace the empty syringe in the top and draw the plunger up a little and set aside until the next time).

No mess, no fuss and accurate. When the finish is gone, just transfer the caps/syringes to the next bottle. I have been using the same syringes for a couple years and have never cleaned them. I prefer the syringes withOUT the rubber on the plungers. I hope Andy's will be like that
Can't get much easier.

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Edward D. Smith (---.ard.bellsouth.net)
Date: March 25, 2006 10:06AM

Excellant Mike! That is what I do, but I do clean them between bottles. No big deal. I forgot the size bit but will check the size once I get in the shop.

Ed

Posted by: Jeffrey Wolfanger (---.rice.edu)
Date: March 25, 2006 02:53PM

I'll get ridiculed for this...but a wise old man shared this with me, it works every time. If you get the pumps once you go through the initial priming meaning once you get the first could squirts out just leave them up. Next time you want to mix a batch just take 2-3 pumps from each...works like a charm. Saves money, easy, and never had a problem.

Date: March 25, 2006 03:07PM

No ridicule!!!!!! There are numerous ways to do anything (except for my wife). Everyone has their favorites and should do whatever they're comfortable with. The great thing about this board is that it offers insights to most of them!!

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Keith Neidhart (---.hot.res.rr.com)
Date: March 25, 2006 09:58PM

Flex coat mixing cups - have the measurement lines. (in CC, Tsp, drams and ML) I bought a pack of 100 for $3

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/26/2006 08:37AM by Keith Neidhart.

Date: March 25, 2006 10:04PM

Most of this Board's SPONSOR's (who make this site possible) sell them also

Mike

Posted by: Keith Neidhart (---.hot.res.rr.com)
Date: March 26, 2006 08:37AM

Sorry Mike (and Tom) I didn't even realize what I did until this morning. (my intent was not to take business from Sponsors) I have seen the mixing cup and stick packs but they were not such a great deal.... the big stack of cups is a great deal but I haven't run across them at the sponsor sites I shop at. Will edit post above.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster