I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Batson curved butt.
Posted by: Michael Friddle (166.82.135.---)
Date: March 21, 2006 08:08AM

I bought one of these in a size 4 and got it in the mail yesterday. I could not believe how big it was...it looked like a 6 instead of a 4. Anyone used these before and noticed them to be larger than say aftco or American? I also noticed that it is 4" longer than a 130# Aftco. It just seems large for an 80# class bent butt.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Batson curved butt.
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: March 21, 2006 09:41AM

The ferrule size should be the same across the board for each sized butt. What does yours measure, ID? If it's larger than the others, you may have gotten the wrong size.

An email to the folks at Batson Enterprises might be helpful as well. Rest assured they'll bend over backwards to make sure you're satisfied and will answer any questions you have very promptly.

Date: March 21, 2006 09:55AM

ID was 1" , and that seems to be the standard for a #4. It just seems that the OD of the butt and it's lenght is way overkill. But what do I know.

Posted by: Kevin Bogan (---.nwrk.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 22, 2006 10:44AM

Mike, I deal with Aftco mfg. who is the originator of the Unibutt. Pac Bay, Batson, ans American tackle all import butts that match the Aftco's very well. Most of the thread work is the same, though none of them are near as smooth as Aftco's. All #2 ferrules fit the same butt Batsons collett nut does not fit over the others. Batsons #4 ferrule likewise is about a 1/32" short of reaching an Aftcos inside alignment pin. They all make a great product but they are not all compatible with their fittings. As far as it being Massive I assume you know that it is a "chair" butt, not a standup. #2 would be the correctsize of a standup, though aftco did just rescently come out with a standup #4. Kevin Bogan

Date: March 22, 2006 11:00AM

Yes Kevin I am aware of it being a chair rod, and mine will be used in the gunnels as a planer rod for those deep Wahoo’s. I also noticed when I tightened the collett nut to the ferrule by hand that the ferrule did not fit real tight in the butt. I wonder if I use something to tighten the nut more would it solve the problem. I have noticed that they make tools for this; I just never have had to do it to any others.

Posted by: Kevin bogan (---.nwrk.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 22, 2006 11:57AM

the threadwork on import butts just arent as good as the Aftcos. A strap wrench is not the answer. All the imports have this proble. Buy anyones # 1 anfd the problem is more evident. Kevin

Posted by: Ricardo Font (---.emrsn.com)
Date: March 22, 2006 12:39PM

I have to report the same observation as Michael, no matter how tight I turned the C-Nut it never made a solid joint with the curved butts, in both the smaller up to 50# and the larger 50#+ models. I have not experimented this problem with Pac Bay and Aftco.
I have'nt notified Bill Batson about this yet.

Posted by: Ricardo Font (---.emrsn.com)
Date: March 23, 2006 08:01AM

Last night I took a Batson 80# class curved butt and affixed it to the ferrule previously installed at the end of one of my 80# class demo rods.
No matter how hard I adjusted the ferrule's collect nut by hand, the rod did not mate solidly with the butt, and play was felt between the two pieces.
Looking at the mating components a bit closer, I concluded that notched steel plate inserted inside the curved butt is placed to far down inside the curved butt, and this was preventing the parts (ferrule + butt) from making a solid connection through the collect nut.
There were to options at hand for fixing the problem
a) pull the steel plate up - no way I could do this
b) reduce the distance between the end of the butt (threaded end) and the notched plate inside of it. By doing this the ferrule could travel deeper into the butt making a better contact with the plate.
To prove this, I mounted the curved butt in a press and cut with a hack saw the last thread (about 1mm), since I wanted to be cautious, I started with a one thread cut-off.
I cleaned and sanded the butt end, inserted the ferrule on the rod inside the curved butt and adjusted the collect nut, it didn't take any force to get a perfect snug fit.
I am afraid I will have to do this with at least a few more butts I have in stock.

Posted by: kEVIN bOGAN (---.nwrk.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 23, 2006 08:08AM

RICHARD, BEFORE YOU CUT THINGS UP, GET AN AFTCO FERRULE AND SEE IF IT WORKS.
kEVIN

Posted by: Bill Batson (---.olympus.net)
Date: March 23, 2006 01:02PM

Michael,
By the specs you gave you did receive OUR #4 Marine Grade Aluminum Butt. Yes they are different than per say X, Y & Z brands in reagrds to the OD. I believe all brands do have the standard ID on tne Collet.
**We sell thousands of these butts each year and have very few problems. The best way to check to see if it seats correctly is to take off the O ring on the collet and put into the butt. If there is a gap then you know it seats correctly. This is what we do in our inspection here. If it does not have a gap then it was cut incorrectly.
We have never stated that ours and X , Y & Z brands are interchangable.
Our Aluminum Butts are Marine Grade Aluminum and IMHO are as good as any on the market today at a fraction of the cost. I have seen X, Y and Z Brands and I see no significant differences in Quality.
If any one ever has a question or concern in regards to The Batson Product line please feel free to contact us directly.
"The Vision Continues" - To Supply High Quality Rod Blanks & Rod Building Components at a Fair Price and back it up with Exceptional Customer service....
Thank you to everyone for your support, without your support we could not support this industry.
Bill Batson
CEO
Batson Enterprises
Rainshadow/Forecast Product lines.
877-875-2381
www.batsonenterprises.com
Batson@batsonenterprises.com..

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster