I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pacific Bay Rod Lathes?
Posted by: Mike (---.reyrey.net)
Date: August 17, 2001 03:45PM

Just getting started on rod building, and I'm looking to buy a rod wrapper next week. I was wondering if the Pacific bay power wrapper worth getting. What other eqiupment do I need when getting this particular wrapper? Will I have any problems. I looked at the Renzetti Lathes and the Clemens, Its a little expensive for me. I 'm looking to spend about $300-$400 and I think that the Pacific Bay fits my budget. Should I buy one?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Pacific Bay Rod Lathes?
Posted by: andrew (---.cambridge-03rh16rt.ma.dial-access.att.net)
Date: August 17, 2001 04:04PM

MIKE , WAIT ONE MORE WEEK AND BUDGET ANOTHER COUPLE HUNDRED BUCKS FOR THE CLEMENS OR RENZETTI FOR THE SIMPLE FACT OF AS YOU GET MORE PROFICIENT AND DARING IN THE CRAFT I BELIEVE YOU WILL LOVE BOTH CLEMENS AND RENZETTIS ADDITIONAL OPTIONS THAT ARE AVAILABLE, AND IF YOO TIRE OF ROD BUILDING I WOULD IMAGINE THE CLEMENS AND OR RENZETTI WILL BE AN EASIER SELL FOR YOU. I ALSO BELIEVE CLEMENS IS HAVING A BIG SALE ON THESE LATHES AND FOR THE DIFFERENCE IN PRICE YOU WILL HAVE A MUCH BETTER LATHE WITH THE CLEMENS AND RENZETTI PRODUCTS. TRUST ME I HAD A PAC BAY!

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.dialinx.net)
Date: August 17, 2001 04:22PM

I get asked about the Pac Bay unit all the time. The best answer I can give is that it is likely a fine unit when used for what it is intended for.

If you are a professional builder who needs to perform lots of rodbuilding tasks and builds lots of rods, then the Clemens or Renzetti is likely a better bet and the extra money will be well spent.

If, however, you are just building the occasional rod and do not need a lot of extra options, the Pac Bay may well be all you need. I know several people who own them and most are quite pleased. I also know some professional builders who have them and they seem to feel that it is not really meant for large scale rod building work.

I'm sure you'll get some more feedback in the next few days here.

Posted by: Russell (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: August 17, 2001 09:03PM

If you are already square on spending $400, why not save a bit more and put another $100 to $200 with it and get a Renzetti or something? I bought a Renzetti after using a Pac Bay and the difference is much more than $200 worth I can tell you.

Posted by: Dennis (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: August 18, 2001 03:20AM

Mike, I agree with Tom. I now own a Pac Bay For about seven years and it works great but, it won't do what the others can do. When I got this unit it was direct drive (chuck mounted to motor), I used it this way until Jan/01 when I smoked the motor shaving a handle for a spinning rod. I invested over $100 to retool this unit with a new motor ,speed control, center bearing, pulleys,belts and a pot. to limit motor speed ,(like cruise control on a car). All parts are from PacBay. Now it cuts handles "No Problem". I feel I have learned a great deal while using this equipment and the years before when I would hand roll the blanks to wrap a rod but, now I would like to upgrade to a professional model on which I can do weaving / butt wraps. Mike , if your interested in buying a used (like new) PacBay drop me a line. For someone just starting out it's more than enough to test your curiosity about the art of rodbuilding. Thanks,Dennis

Posted by: Dan Bryant (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: August 18, 2001 08:15AM

I have the Pac Bay. Works just fine for building a few rods here and there and tinkering around. I found the $500+ cost of the Renzetti a little steep for my budget as well, considering I do this as a hobby and not a business. The Pac Bay suits my needs just fine.

Posted by: bill mathis (208.33.107.---)
Date: August 18, 2001 08:27AM

i seriously considered the pacific bay but clemens is having an online sale on their lathe.i just recieved my clemens and i,m really glad i chose it. it can do so much more. bill

Posted by: elrod (150.199.191.---)
Date: August 20, 2001 05:09PM

Just ordered Clemens today, took advantage of the sale. I toyed with the idea of Pac Bay, Custom Wrapper, Renzetti, Clemens, FLex Coat etc. I decided that if I am going to continue as a business I would have to get into the power wrapping scene. I have hand rolled for 6 years now, but am looking for a quicker process and all inclusive unit. Right now I have drill stand lathe downstairs, hand wrapper in closet, tools here and there. I wanted a compact "do-all". My decision for Clemens is based on reputation, long history, recommendations from others. The only thing I do not like about the Clemens is you can not wrap from in front. I taught myself years ago and wrapping from in front made more sense to me, so I have a learning curve to overcome when my Clemens unit arives.
I would suggest, if you are just getting into it to consider a hand wrapper. Your can easily make one yourself or order one for $50. This way if it is not a lifetime hobby, you do not have much invested (spend the savings on better components for your rods). Later if you decide to do it regularly, you can purchase a true "rod building unit" and use the hand wrapper for rod dryer supports or something.

Posted by: Russell (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: August 20, 2001 08:16PM

I bought a Renzetti and have been most pleased with it. I wrap from the back so there is no problem, but if you recall, there is a photo tip in an older RodMaker that shows how to modify either of these units so you can wrap from the front. You just have to add an extension so the thread arm can be pulled down and past the rod to the front.

Posted by: elrod (150.199.191.---)
Date: August 21, 2001 08:56AM

Does anyone know the issue with the modification? or, can someone describe it well enough here? I would be very interested in modifying the Clemens unit to wrap from the front, unless any of you have a good reason not to.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster