I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Popping rod blank suggestions?
Posted by: Craig Sawtelle (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: February 08, 2006 11:38AM

Would appreciate your suggestions for moderatly priced PR blanks.....7'6" ... 8-17 range. Rod will have a Calais 200A and be used wade fishing for redfish using 8-10 lb. test throwing 1/8 oz. spoons, soft plastics, and ocassionally top water plugs. Have been using a Loomis PR844 which works just fine but would like a little extra length. Thanks for your input.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Popping rod blank suggestions?
Posted by: Bret Rahe (---.ch2m.com)
Date: February 08, 2006 12:02PM

A Loomis P902 is also a great choice.... Another suggestion would be HotShot blanks, originally designed for steelhead fishing I think. They have lot's of backbone with real light tips and are great wade-fishing rods. I would recommend something along the lines of an HS9000 (Loomis model). Also, Andy Dear/Lamar Fishing had some AllStar overstock HotShot blanks at great prices that I'm currently building several of (7.5-footers).....I do the same fishing you mentioned (along TX coast) and these work great. Andy may still have some....give him a call.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: February 08, 2006 12:18PM

Rainshadow IP 904, they also make it in an 8 ft model IP964.

Posted by: Bill Falconer (162.121.252.---)
Date: February 08, 2006 12:48PM

Hey Craig-

I think all of the above would work great. I have also been REALLY impressed with the Lamiglas XMG Popping Rods. These are very light in weight, are extremely sensitive and have very small diameters relative to the other popping rods I have built (Loomis, Shikari, etc.). They offer an LP903 and an LP904 either of which might do really well for you. And in my opinion the LP842 is the best micro-light casting rod set up there is for wading. You can throw 1/8th ounce baits - like a medium sized shrimp and a 1/0 circle hook - a shocking distance with a Calcutta 50 and 6 or 8 lb line with the LP842s. I have gotten these blanks with no trouble from Custom Tackle Supply (always seem to be in stock and ship immediately) but I'm sure several of the sponsors at left carry them or can get them.

One cautionary note - I would liken them to GLX blanks in that they are built for high performance rather than to withstand repeated abuse. If you mistreat your rods on a regular basis they might not be the best option.

I also know that Andy Dear and others down around the Texas coast have had really good luck with light weight hot shot blanks for this application as well. I am really anxious to give some of these blanks a try but have not done so yet. It might be worth checking out. I've historically gotten very good advice from Andy.

I hope this helps. Good luck!

Bill

Posted by: Andy Dear (---.231.14.161.Dial1.Houston1.Level3.net)
Date: February 08, 2006 02:08PM

Craig,
Well, if you want the best, the CTS Inshore BaitCast and Inshore Spin in the Extra Fast series are some of the finest, if not the finest made. I say that with 25 years of experience, wading the Texas Coast with poppin rod in hand. The CTS product is priced similiar to the Loomis, but provides maximum durabiltiy due to the helical construction, coupled with extremely light weight like the Loomis.
Now, if you're looking for something more economical, I would go with a St. Croix SCIII or a Shikari....even though I am not a Distributor for either, I don't hesitate to reccomend them, because they both make good poppin blanks at a reasonable price. Call Karen at Bingham....she carries both.

If you think you might be interested in the CTS product, give me a shout, I have a the model you need, and it is in stock.....you won't be disappointed, it is an unbelievable piece of equipment.

Andy Dear
www.lamarfishing.com

Posted by: Bill Batson (---.olympus.net)
Date: February 08, 2006 03:39PM

Batson Enterprises - Rainshadow/Forecast products makes the IP series ( Inshore Popping) in many different lengths & powers. These are in the RX7 ( 43 M/M Graphite ) Reasonably priced, durable and in stock. Moderate/Fast actions designed for light saltwater applications. We sell thousands of this series every year, I am sure you will not be disappointed with any Batson Products. Please feel free to look at our website at www.batsonenterprises.com for all of the details. If you have any questions please feel free to contact us or one of our many Authorized distributors..
Thank you for your support.
Bill Batson
CEO
Batson Enterprises
Rainshadow/Forecast Products
batson@batsonenterprises.com
877-875-2381

Posted by: Todd R. Vivian (---.lamiglas.com)
Date: February 08, 2006 06:39PM

Craig,
Bill described our XMG popping blanks very well. They are a blended fiber in the 50mm range. While these will be the highest performance blanks you can find they will not withstand abuse. We do also offer our IM700 popping blanks which are in the 43mm range. These not only offer excellent performance but an added amount of durability.
I will be happy to answer any questions you have about our product.

Regards,

Todd Vivian

Regards,
Todd Vivian
Mud Hole Custom Tackle

todd@mudhole.com

Posted by: Emory Harry (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: February 08, 2006 08:40PM

Craig,
I find Popping blanks to be extremely versatile blanks. In fact, I make a lot of one piece Salmon and Steelhead rods by extending popping blanks out to as much as 9' for people that are using techniques that are very similar to what you will be using. Both Lamiglas and Rainshadow make both 7'6" and 8' versions of these blanks and both make ones that have line ratings that are in the 8-10 (903s & 963s) and 10-17 (904s & 964s) lb. range which is exactly what you are looking for. It would be difficult for me to recommend one over the other. I have used many of the 8-10 and 10-17 from both companies and they are all excellent blanks and I might add excellent companies to do business with as well.
I would agree with you that if you are going to err do it on the side a little longer rod. You might want to consider the 7'6" version and then extend it out to say 8' or a little longer. Extending it will result in the rod having a little faster action for a little better fish handling and the extra length will allow you to stretch out your casting distance when it is necessary.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/08/2006 08:43PM by Emory Harry.

Posted by: Emory Harry (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: February 08, 2006 08:47PM

I had to update the above post to correct my spelling. I think that my spelling is getting as bad as Bob Balcombe's. No on second thought, I am not getting that bad, nobody else is that bad.

Posted by: Andy Dear (---.231.14.91.Dial1.Houston1.Level3.net)
Date: February 08, 2006 10:23PM

Craig,
I had some additional specs./pricing and application information I'd like to email you directly, but your email address is hidden.
If you'll email me at andy@lamarfishing.com I"ll be happy to provide.

Andy Dear
andy@lamarfishing.com

Posted by: Bill Falconer (---.sw.biz.rr.com)
Date: February 08, 2006 11:25PM

Craig-

In all honesty, here is what you need to do if you are serious. I'm not kidding. Buy a few blanks from each manufacturer and build them all. Try the Lamiglas blanks. Try the Loomis blanks. Try the Allstars and the Batsons and the CTSs and all of them. Keep the ones you like, sell or gift the rest. You will learn a TON about these rods by doing this. This is really the only one true way to know what you are getting: practical on the water experience.

If this is the type of fishing you do most, it follows that you would know mostly these types of fisherman and build mostly these types of rods. In my opinion, this is the niche where it makes sense to be a serious student of the game and to invest in this level of expertise when it comes to blanks for inshore wading applications. Not only will you learn what the market has to offer but you may be surprised at what you learn about what the subtly different actions and weights and powers will and will not do for you and with what baits and under what conditions. I know it's expensive but you will enjoy it.

Just my $0.02. Good luck.

Bill

Posted by: Craig Sawtelle (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: February 10, 2006 11:22AM

Thanks to everyone for their input and taking the time to respond.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster