I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Fly Rod Wrapping - underwraps?
Posted by: Chris Garrity (---.phlapafg.covad.net)
Date: February 06, 2006 11:53AM

I'm in the process of building a 9', 10-11 wt fly rod, that I'll be using to fish for striped bass and bluefish, almost exclusively from shore (surf and back bay).

I've built other rods before, but this is my first fly rod, and I have a question about wrapping the guides. On all the other surf rods I built, I used an underwrap of Size A thread, and wrapped the guides onto the blank with Size D thread. I really like the way they turned out, as the underwrap created a base that the epoxy could penetrate, and the end result was an extremely stable, and hopefully extremely durable, finish.

My question, then, is should I do this with a fly rod? It will not be abused quite as much as my heavier surf rods, but it will still be used in the same conditions. Will the underwraps make the finished rod more durable? Or will they just add unnecessary weight?

Any thoughts from those more experienced than me are greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Fly Rod Wrapping - underwraps?
Posted by: Stan Grace (---.hln-mt.client.bresnan.net)
Date: February 06, 2006 12:02PM

It is my opinion that they (underwraps) will add unnecessary weight! Prep the guide feet properly and they'll not be needed.

Stan Grace
Helena, MT
"Our best is none too good"

Posted by: Jim Benenson (164.64.146.---)
Date: February 06, 2006 12:19PM

Chris,

On a rod that powerful, underwraps won't affect the performance at all. Stan is right that if the underside of the guide is prepped properly, an underwrap is not necessary. However, it will add a measure of protection to the blank (and it looks nice). It's your choice, but mine would be to use an underwrap.

Jim

Posted by: Chris Karp (---.netpenny.net)
Date: February 06, 2006 12:26PM

Proper guide feet prep combined with the improved epoxies used in the MFG of rod blanks today have made underwraps virtually unnecessary; save possibly for heavy duty situations as you have described. I used to remove guides from older rods that had actually dented the blank and left an impression. I only see this now on older blanks. Sometimes I will use under wraps on smaller single foot wire fly guides just to add .006" (Size A) height to the low sitting smaller guide rings or wire loops so to avoid the possible friction incurred with line slap.

One trick I learned when using underwraps is to wrap the under wraps 180 degrees to how you are going to wrap the the over wrap, but note I also wrap "A" over "A" size thread. i.e. underwraps start at the guide eye side and then proceed down towards the tapered foot end, then BURNISH WELL, when you overwrap go up the guide foot as yuo normally do.

Posted by: Mike Collier (---.pa-nj.hfc.comcastbusiness)
Date: February 06, 2006 12:30PM

I justed finished a 10wt fly rod and used no underwraps. Underwraps are a thing of the past for me. I used size A thread to wrap the singlr foot Titan guides on to the blank. I don't think underwraps will add protection to the blank because if you don't prep the guide foot properly the guide foot would cut the wrap. So the whole key is prepping the guide foot.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: February 06, 2006 01:28PM

The underwraps will do nothing but add weight. They do not protect the blank nor make the blank more durable.

Posted by: John Blair (---.rgv.res.rr.com)
Date: February 07, 2006 05:03AM

I trust all the information here. I just finished a 10/11 fly rod for a customer in Alaska. He demanded that it have underwraps. I whole hearly agree with Mr. Kirkman (I have seen this reply from him before). I muust admit it sure added a great finish look to a big rod. Good luck

Big John
Rio Hondo, Texas
Blessed are those who can give without remembering and take without forgetting

Posted by: Trey Gurley (---.midsouth.biz.rr.com)
Date: February 07, 2006 09:39AM

What should I be doing to prep the underside of the guides?

I have only been grinding the topsides so the thread will climb easily.

Thanks
Trey

Posted by: Stan Grace (---.hln-mt.client.bresnan.net)
Date: February 07, 2006 02:02PM

Level the bottoms by filing with a chain saw file. Fix the file in a vice and make passes with your guide in the direction of the cut until the bottom appears even and level. I do this prior to filing the top ramp as it may save you a few passes on the top portion and you will be beveling to a slightly different point in many cases.

Stan Grace
Helena, MT
"Our best is none too good"

Posted by: D. Rob Grider (---.client.insightBB.com)
Date: February 07, 2006 02:03PM

Trey, make sure when you are done grinding the topsides that a small burr is not left on the underside edge of the guide foot because that is will what eventually work its way into and damage the blank upon flexure. A few quick passes of a fine diamond file is all that is generally needed.

Posted by: Trey Gurley (---.midsouth.biz.rr.com)
Date: February 08, 2006 11:30PM

Thanks
Trey

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster