nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

  • Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

  • Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

    Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.

ICRBE 2020
CCS Database
Int. Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
Anglers Workshop
BRC Rods
Bingham Enterprises
Cork Specialties LLC
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
CTS New Zealand
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
Hitena USA
Janns Netcraft
Mickels Custom Rods
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Pacific Bay
REC Components
Renzetti Inc.
Rod Builders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
RodMaker Blog
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
The Rod Room
Trondak U-40
Utmost Enterprises

Rod Labels
Posted by: Bill O (---.z216112040.bos-ma.dsl.cnc.net)
Date: June 19, 2001 03:03PM

Has anyone tried using a clear Avery label with white or light colored lettering for rod specs? Any other suggestions other than hand writing the model and specs on a rod?


By the way, I have ordered quite a few of the Mudhole Lamiglass Blems blanks in the last month. Great prices and the blanks look good. Check them out .

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Rod Labels
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.dialinx.net)
Date: June 19, 2001 03:32PM

The Avery labels do not work extremely well. You will find that the clear ones are actually somewhat opaque on most rod blanks. There are better decal type papers available, although most of them are not suitable for use in regular ink or laser type printers.


Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Rod Labels
Posted by: Bill O (---.z216112040.bos-ma.dsl.cnc.net)
Date: June 19, 2001 03:37PM

Ill look around and experiment with some different labels. I have a friend in the printing business so maybe Ill ask him.

Great job on the site.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Rod Labels
Posted by: George Thurston (---.sanangelo-01rs15rt.tx.dial-access.att.net)
Date: June 20, 2001 03:06AM

I have used the material from Mud hole Tackle it comes in a full sheet and is compadable with ink jet printers. It has a adhesive backing and when applied to your rod blank is clear . you can print anything that you want on it. It is the same material that they are putting Rod makers labels on with it and also color decals of Bass, etc. It is worth the $5.95 a sheet. you can use the avery format for labels to get a uniform number of items printed on each sheet.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Rod Labels
Posted by: John Britt (---.tampabay.rr.com)
Date: June 20, 2001 10:37AM

Tom K hit the nail on the head about the Avery products avoid them,poor results from our standpoint.A few thoughts about ink jet printers and labels.
Most ink jet printers do not handle the thicker vinyl materials used in making decals very well.

The inks used tend to fade very rapidly when exposed to UV.

There have been numerous work arounds on using the printers for decals almost all of which have damaged some model printers

There have been some post re a west coast decal water slide paper that has promise,don't recall the name.

Some alternatives contact Custom Tackle Supply or Mudhole they can make the decals you need for you at a reasonable fee.

Tom K once mentioned a company that still makes some great letter transfers,you might contact him for the name.

Purchase a special printer for making decals{expensive}but if you do a lot of rods might be worth while

Last thought ink jets like all other printers work best with specific papers,exercise caution with what you put thru your printer,the inks tend to smear when used on the wrong type of material or they have very poor adhesion.
just my opinion

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Rod Labels
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.dialinx.net)
Date: June 20, 2001 10:51AM

John, In this case I wouldn't say that it is "just your opinion". You have stated some very important facts for anyone who is trying to get good results from computer generated inscriptions.

Although I did a lengthy article in RodMaker a couple years back concerning all the various ways to make rod inscriptions, there have been some real innovations since then. I may consider a follow-up article very soon. The inks are improving (particularly on the Epson printers) and various new types of papers are coming on the market. We're getting closer and closer to inexpensive systems that almost anyone can afford and get good results from. In the meantime those firms, and the paper mentioned above, are a good place to start.


Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Rod Labels
Posted by: Robert Balcombe (REELMAN) (---.131.usr.olynet.com)
Date: July 11, 2001 03:45AM

I use my computer to design what ever lable I need print it on standard stock. Then spray it with hair spray (4 light coats) Then I let it soak in thread sealer after it has dried on the rod I finish it of with trim bands

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Rod Labels
Posted by: Robert Balcombe (REELMAN) (---.131.usr.olynet.com)
Date: July 11, 2001 03:48AM


Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Rod Labels
Posted by: Joe (---.bhm.bellsouth.net)
Date: July 23, 2001 08:31PM

The printer to get for making rod lables is a dry transfer type. It works much like a dot matrix printer but uses different colored ribbons, including metallic's. One way to get rod (clear) lables from a regular inkjet is to get a Micro Mark catalog and order their inkjet decal kit. This kit produces water transfer decals and includes a spray can of fixer that keeps the ink from running when you wet them. This paper and fixer can sometimes be found in hobby shops that do a lot of train business as that is the market it is intended for.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Rod Labels
Posted by: Ron (---.houston.rr.com)
Date: August 03, 2001 04:30PM

So let me get this straight - dont use the Mudhole transfer paper in an HP Laserjet it will smear?

Am I wrong , but the dry transfer printer is like the ones I used to use to make transparencies for my lectures in class? Will those work?

I know the shop in Allentown printed some for me before, the paper they used was very thin and had the adhesive backing on it, all done up in italics and affordable, just thought I would do my own since I do grpahics and all for a living, just have not chased down the printing end of things.


Options: ReplyQuote

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.