I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Reaming wood insert
Posted by: Tom Nair (---.ptldor.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: January 31, 2006 12:47AM

One of the sponcers incorrectly listed the butt diameter of a rainshadow and I had a insert/seat made for me by Les Freiberg. Well, the bore is off by about 1/8th of an inch. Am I into a rattail file or drill press, or should I send it back to les and let him handle it. I don't mind doing it myself as long as I am not in over my head. I sent an e-mail to Les but it's kind of late back there now. I am in no hurry. Thanks for any guidance. Tom

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Reaming wood insert
Posted by: Christian Brink (---.dsl.aracnet.com)
Date: January 31, 2006 01:20AM

Depending on the wood, you won't want to spend the time reaming and 1/8 of an inch. And boring/drilling the insert without a lathe is tricky proposition

I bet Les will rebore the insert for you.

Christian

Posted by: Andy Dear (---.stic.net)
Date: January 31, 2006 09:01AM

Tom,
We'll have a tool available later this month that will allow you to "power ream" wood cork, foam etc with little or no effort. I know that doesn't solve your problem NOW, but it will be available!

Andy Dear
Lamar Mfg.

Posted by: Daryl Dertell (---.nelson.netidea.bc.ca)
Date: January 31, 2006 09:20AM

Tom, I have reamed wooden inserts by wrapping a dowel with a peice of 1 inch sanding belt, spiraled up dowel. then put on lath and carefully sand out center to fit.Don,t run to fast,check often for fit.same idea should work on drillpress.Andy,please let us know when your reamer tool is available, I should get one and some manderals to. Daryl Dertell

Posted by: Edward D. Smith (---.ard.bellsouth.net)
Date: January 31, 2006 09:52AM

Andy,

It is already late in January. Will you have these in Charlotte in late February?

Ed

Posted by: Stan Grace (---.hln-mt.client.bresnan.net)
Date: January 31, 2006 10:04AM

If you ream the insert by drilling it can be done in incremental steps. Glue the insert into the seat and allow it to cure as the first step. Then chuck drill bits in a hand held chuck and hand ream with sharp bits increasing the bit size by no more than 1/32 each pass. This will help prevent splitting. If you ream with abrasive means a rat tailed file spun in reverse in a variable speed drill or a reamer made from sand paper will work if you proceed patiently. Don't attempt to ream wood with the abrasive grit reamers made for reaming cork as they are too aggressive.

Stan Grace
Helena, MT
"Our best is none too good"

Posted by: Patrick Heintz (---.aurorahealthcare.org)
Date: January 31, 2006 10:46AM

Andy, can you tell us more about your tool? Hand operated, or something you chuck into a drill or use with a lathe? Cost?

Posted by: John Kepka (---.iad.untd.com)
Date: January 31, 2006 12:24PM

the method outlined by stan grace works very well. I have done several this way.

Posted by: Duane Richards (---.rn.hr.cox.net)
Date: January 31, 2006 05:38PM

Andy,

Every email I send to you gets returned: User mailbox exceeds allowed size

I too am interested in the tool......

Posted by: Andy Dear (---.stic.net)
Date: January 31, 2006 09:31PM

I am switching ISP's this week...I have had enough! It's basically a little adaptor that you epoxy on the bottom of a tapered reamer that allows you to chuck it in a hand drill...you can ream a cork grip in 30 seconds with no scuffed hands. You can ream a stabilized wood insert to any size you want....it's awesome. The prototypes are being made as we speak.
BTW, the best reamers are made from the FlexCoat 36 grit reamer strips. Any of those reamers with grit epoxied to the blank are terrible. The grit will come loose lodge in the cork ahndle, then when you slide it on your blank...big scratch!

Andy Dear
Lamar Mfg.

Posted by: John Blair (---.rgv.res.rr.com)
Date: February 01, 2006 12:36AM

Put me on the list for one Andy.

Big John
Rio Hondo, Texas
Blessed are those who can give without remembering and take without forgetting

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster