I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Finishing Problem...
Posted by: Jeff (63.89.12.---)
Date: August 16, 2001 12:43PM

Hello all –

I was hoping to get an answer to a problem I just experienced while finishing my first fly rod. After wrapping all guides I applied 2 coats of Flex Coat color preserver (allowing for drying time in between them) to the wraps. I felt as if I had fully saturated the wraps and they all appeared very glossy in appearance, which led me to believe that I had applied sufficient CP.

After allowing the CP to dry for 1 ½ hours I applied a first coat of Flex Coat finishing epoxy. Upon doing this the yellow tips of the wraps took on a molted look. It actually looks not only molted but as if there are spaces between the thread. I don’t believe that spaces actually exist as they were packed pretty tightly and appeared fine before and after the CP coats.

Could it be that I didn’t apply enough CP to fully saturate the thread and this is the result or is it that different color threads react differently to CP followed by finishing epoxy?

Note: The wraps are done with a base wrap of red and yellow tips…the red turned out just fine it is only the yellow that look, well, funky.

Thanks for any advice.

-Jeff

Options: ReplyQuote
Finishing Problem
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.dialinx.net)
Date: August 16, 2001 01:29PM

If it is mostly the edges of the wraps that turned on you then it is a distinct possibility that you did not get adequate coverage of the CP on your wraps, particularly at the extreme edges. Notice I did not say that you did not use enough, but that you may not have gotten adequate coverage. Those areas might have been starved for CP and the finish migrated in from the edges.

It does sound as if you put enough on however.

Alcohol based CP's can often be dry enough to finish over within an hour. Water based versions take longer to dry. (If you can still smell the CP when you sniff the wraps, it's not dry.) It is usually a bit safer to allow overnight drying time before applying finish, no matter which type CP you use.

Options: ReplyQuote

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster