I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Gatti blanks
Posted by: Mike Carnegie (---.ocnsd1.sdca.home.com)
Date: August 16, 2001 10:46AM

Hey Guys, does anyone here have any experience with Gatti flyrod blanks? A friend has asked me to build him a fast action 9'0 6wt for tossing streamers. He currently ownes a Loomis GLX and a Sage SP and wants something a little different. Mudhole lists a Gatti FR906TA that seems to fit the bill. From what I can gather they appear to be a very nice product. Any comments?

Mike

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Gatti blanks
Posted by: Bob Petti (---.co.us.ibm.com)
Date: August 16, 2001 03:29PM

I got to cast one at the FAOL Fish In a couple weeks ago. It was a 9' 6wt 3pc(?), matched with a Wulff TT 6wt line. It didn't feel quite as light in the hand as a Sage rod, but it was very smooth and powerful. My loops were unusually tight and lacking in those distance robbing waves and I was able to shoot line with ease. I thought the Gatti felt a lot like the Lamiglas rods I've used recently - especially the Ti2000 - only it felt heavier.

As to how it compares to a GLX or SP, I can't say as I've never cast either of those rods.

The Gatti I cast (dunno if they have a variety of actions) is not what I could call a fast action rod since there was plenty of flex in the mid section during normal casting (not just double haul out of your shoes casting). Compared to a real fast tip-action rod like a Sage XP, I thought the Gatti was toward the medium end of the range. Of course, I'm not a big fan of tip action rods, so I liked it well enough.

Personally, if a person owns a GLX and SP, I doubt they'd get that much different out of the Gatti.

Bob

Posted by: Todd (---.portland-01rh15rt.or.dial-access.att.net)
Date: August 16, 2001 11:47PM

Mike,
I have built 5 of the Gatti's in 4, 5, 7, 8 & 9 wt's. While they are great casting rods I have to agree with Bob, I just am not sure that if this person owns the Sage and GLX that it would do anything for them.

Todd

Posted by: Bob Petti (---.co.us.ibm.com)
Date: August 17, 2001 08:09AM

After thinking about this on the drive home last night, I can't help but wonder if the person needs to move up in line weight rather than build yet another 6wt. It could also be the person could benefit from some professional casting instruction.

I'm not being flippant, either. Those are both good rods and should be able to perform at the highlest levels. It could very well be the person is either trying to cast too much fly for a 6wt line, or the person is struggling with his or her casting fundamentals. Lord knows we *all* could use some help from time to time, so this isn't meant as a slam. We we push the envelope of what a rod/line is capable of doing, our casting faults are magnified to the nth degree.

If the person absolutely wants to try another 6wt, then I'd advise taking a look at the Lamiglas Ti2000. I found it to be a very user friendly rod with a tremendous amount of power available and would be PERFECT for long line streamer fishing.

Bob

Re: Sage RPLXi...9 ft, 3 piece, 6 wgt !
Date: August 17, 2001 11:22AM

Sorry guys, I should have pointed out that the Loomis GLX he fishes is a 5 wt., and the Sage SP is a 4 wt. The guy is a tremendous caster. Easily one of the best I've fished with. He got a look at the St.Croix Legend Ultra I just finished for my son, and asked me if I could build something special for him in a fast action 6wt for tossing big streamers. I suggested the very same St. Croix Legend Ultra in a 6 wt, but he has this thing against St. Croix. The reason I brought up the Gatti blank is that he said he'd like to try something "different"(i.e. something other than Loomis or Sage). My other thought was a Thomas & Thomas Horizon blank. Sorry for the confusion.

Mike

Re: Lamiglass Ti or G-USA blank
Posted by: Bob McKamey (64.53.115.---)
Date: August 17, 2001 12:00PM

Those are another two that are "powerhouse" type rods and they are a little different or let's say, not the norm. I have a Lamiglas TI-2000 8 wt. and it is a line slingin' machine!! The Graphite USA can also Tote the Mail!! Bob Petti mentioned how powerful the 6 wt. TI-2000 was, that he had cast.

Bob McKamey -- Custom Tackle Supply

Posted by: Todd (---.vanc3.pacifier.com)
Date: August 17, 2001 12:33PM

If you are not stuck on having a multi piece blank then I guarantee that your customer would be satisfied with the 6 or 7 wt from our new XMG50 line. These are 50 and 55 million modulus blanks that are super light wt. and you won't find one that casts better.

Todd

Date: August 17, 2001 02:41PM

Hello Todd, pardon my ignorance, but I'm not sure which blank manufacturer you are referring to with the XMG50 series designation.
Also, he actually prefers 2 piece rods, but would take a multi-piece/travel rod if the performance criteria were met. About the only thing he is adamant about is that it have a Robert Venneri reel seat, and Fuji SIC SF guides. Seems he loves his Loomis GLX but despises the graphite seat it came with. I can't blame him. Considering what you pay for a GLX I'm kinda surprised that Loomis would use such an ugly reelseat too.

Thank you for your help!
Mike

Posted by: Todd (---.vanc8.pacifier.com)
Date: August 17, 2001 05:58PM

Sully, yes these are available as blanks, and I promise you will not be disappointed.

Mike, I'm sorry, most of these boards have a signature that appears, I forget that this doesn't. My name is Todd Vivian, and I'm with Lamiglas.

These models are available through your favorite dealer, (and Sully we all know who that is for you).

The model number would be:

EF 108 then the line wt.

ie: EF 108 9

While many of the dealers do not yet stock these, we can get them to you in a hurry, all are in stock.
Again, you will not be disappointed.

Oh yes, the retail prices are as follows

EF1084 9' #4 $130.00
EF1085 9' #5 $130.00
EF1086 9' #6 $130.00
EF1087 9' #7 $140.00
EF1088 9' #8 $140.00
EF1089 9' #9 $150.00
EF10810 9' #10 $160.00

EF1147-3 9'6" #7 3pc. $190.00
EF1205-3 10'0" #5 3pc. $190.00
EF1208-3 10'0" #8 3pc. $190.00

Todd

Lamiglas, Inc.

Re: Lamiglass question for Todd
Date: August 18, 2001 10:33AM

Hey Todd, could you give me some specs. on the EF1086 9' blank you were referring to (i.e. action, butt dia, weight, tip size, and color). I went looking for it on your web site but it wasn't listed. Also where does it fit into your current line of blanks? Is it a replacement for the Perigee series? Thanks a bunch.

Mike

Re: Lamiglass question for Todd
Posted by: Todd (---.portland-06-07rs.or.dial-access.att.net)
Date: August 20, 2001 02:03AM

Mike the color of the blank is a translucent burgandy, Fast action, #5 tip top, 0.425" butt od, and it was not designed to replace the Perigee series as we build a production rod from this series. The Perigee series we don't use in rods.

Sorry about the website not being current, I'll let the marketing department know they are falling down.

Todd

I'll second the new Lami blank
Posted by: Wes (---.worldaccessnet.com)
Date: August 20, 2001 04:52PM

I had a chance to cast both a 4 and a 5 wt. in the new Lamiglas XMG50 blanks. Both were truely great to cast. I liked it so much I'm in the process of building up a 5 wt. for myself.
I think Lamiglas has outdone themselves with these blanks - excellent performance at a great price - compare them to any other high end blanks.
Wes

Re: I'll second the new Lami blank
Posted by: Wes (---.worldaccessnet.com)
Date: August 20, 2001 06:38PM

Did I mention they're light as a feather?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster