I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Crappie Rod
Posted by: Rob (65.82.96.---)
Date: August 15, 2001 10:31AM

I read some suggestions from an earlier post, but just had a request for a 13 or 14 foot crappie rod. I've seen light salmon and spey rods up to 11.5 feet that will work great if I extend the blank. Any other suggestions? Any 14ft 2-piece 2-8 lb blanks out there I may be overlooking? Anyone build such a rod for "plucking" crappie that can offer general feedback? Seems like it will end up an awfully expensive blank with a ton of guides just for plucking little ol' panfish.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Crappie Rod
Posted by: Bob McKamey (64.53.115.---)
Date: August 15, 2001 12:55PM

Dick -- What kind of rod do you use to catch all that TN. Country Ham that I hear about you eatin'?? That has to be a pretty darn good rod to do all that!! It ain't just crappie that did it, even though I am sure they helped out. As you know, we are planning an event here in middle TN., next spring, that will involve big time cookouts, fishing, a lot of jaw-jackin', pickin' and grinnin' and last but not least, rod building seminars. A great outdoor experience!! We are looking at late April, early May. Fishing is generally great here in Tennessee, that time of year. More details to follow, as this is in the planning stages. Feel free to contact us, if you would like to know more about this event. It is promised to be one heck of a time!!

Bob McKamey -- Custom Tackle Supply

TN. Country Ham Rod
Date: August 15, 2001 03:57PM

Bring that 30 lb. class Tn. Country Ham Rod. I got to see that darn thing!! We gonna have a big time!! Ya'll come early and stay late. Show ya'll how the good life is in Tennessee for a few days during the spring.

Bob McK -- Custom Tackle Supply

British Match blanks.
Posted by: Dorge (---.il.sprintbbd.net)
Date: August 16, 2001 02:53AM

For that operation, I have not find a better type of blanks than the 4-8lb british match blanks. (3 piece and 12 to 13ft long) To make the blank that much more interesting I have tried many guide setups and finally it hit me that I need to use as small as light as possible but the line need to be close to the rod not away from it to prevent tangling. I strip out those old 4 size high frame match guide and go with 6*6 2*7, 1*8, 1*10 LG Guides and finish it with the older MVSG, and YSG. You cannot get a better crappie rod. If you do not want to go through the trouble in getting those blanks form England, a cheap alternative would be strip out cabela match rod (about 80.00) and modify. I have built a rod like that specially for my good OLD friend in Florida for Big Spots (a pin fish look alike but taste even better steamed Chinese style). Works great and do not cost much!

Good fishing (catching) <*)))))))><{

Crappie
Date: August 16, 2001 09:13AM

If he will go back to 13', St. Croix has some we use. G130L2 and G130L3.

Bob McK -- Custom Tackle Supply

Re: Crappie
Posted by: Rob (65.82.96.---)
Date: August 16, 2001 10:10AM

I think I'd rather build the country ham rod. Bet there's a hidden market for those. Or maybe not so hidden. It's hard for them folks to hide.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster