I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

9' light surf rod suggestions
Posted by: RW (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: August 14, 2001 09:16PM

I am wanting to build a 9' light surf rod for throwing plugs and spoons. No bait. Would prefer a fast taper, lightweight rod that can handle about 1 to 2 ounces. Will fish 10 or 12 lb line on it. One piece is fine but two piece is better. Prefer graphite. Money no object but won't turn down an inexpensive blank if it is good quality. Any suggestions on what blank I need?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 9' light surf rod suggestions
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.dialinx.net)
Date: August 15, 2001 09:49AM

The Loomis SU1084 is one of my favorites, but might be just a bit on the stiff side for what you are describing. OutCast makes a 2-piece rod #GSP1089-2 that I really like, but again it may be just a tad stiff. I'd put both of these in the 2-3 ounce lure weight range.

Posted by: Bill OConnor (---.z216112040.bos-ma.dsl.cnc.net)
Date: August 15, 2001 10:10AM

Check out the Lamiglass GLB1081L and GSB1081L. Nice blanks for light surf rods. Still might be a little heavier than what you are looking for but good blanks. I dont know if Bob at Rainshadow has any suggestions. Hopefully he will chime in.

If you want that light how about looking at a Salmon/Steelhead blank? Might be a lighter choice, but if you want to go lighter than heavier, could be an option.

Posted by: Ed (---.citicorp.com)
Date: August 15, 2001 11:20AM

I agree with Bill. I have a 2 pc. Lamiglass 9 ft Steelhead blank I bought from Mudhole that will cast light plugs and tins a country mile (using 14lb test Fireline - 6lb diam) and still have some decent backbone to pull in some decent size fish. Enjoy.

Posted by: Todd (---.vanc2.pacifier.com)
Date: August 15, 2001 04:18PM

RW,
I would suggest you go to

[www.stripersonline.com]

Surf is all these guys do and they can help you with any question about the type of rod you need

Todd

Posted by: Warren (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: August 16, 2001 03:03PM

RW; Warren here! Am looking for the same kind of blank and have been doing so for about 5weeks, have narrowed it down to a Rainshadow rated for, I think it's 8-17lb line, Lamiglas XRA 3,or AllStar/Breakaway 1088. You might want to take a look at them,maybe. The steelhead blanks will do the job; I made one for my son about 5 years ago and it works like a champ but I personally don't like it, the tip is too tender and the action too fast. Warren

Posted by: Warren (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: August 16, 2001 04:00PM

RW that Rainshadow blank is 8' 10", rated for 15-25lb line,mod action,graphite/composite. You can find Rainshadow at Bingham Enterprises,they sponsor this site and are listed at the top left.Warren

Posted by: Capt Neil Faulkner (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: August 16, 2001 08:32PM

HI.

I have built on a Lamiglas MB 1083M. It is a fiber glass blank, 9', 1/2 to 1 1/2 oz lures. It also comes in 2 pieces. The guys like it for light lures. It casts well and has handles striped bass over 30"s.

It can take abuse and wholesales for approx 50 and 60 dollars, 1 piece and 2 piece.

Capt Neil

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster