I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Custom decals
Posted by: Ian 'Barra' Miller (---.shoalhaven.net.au)
Date: August 12, 2001 08:07AM

G'day Everyone,

I need some advice regarding custom decals. I use water-slide decals that I have had custom manufactured in bulk. However, when it comes to getting a custom decal it always gives me problems. I have solved this by ordering individually from the sources recommended to me by many of you folk, but a situation has arisen whereby I am going to need a lot of different decals. Ordering ones and twos has worked but as I'm in Australia and everyone who does this is in the USA... Well the logistics are pretty extreme.
So my question is this: which way should I go? I have read over the years about a system you guys use in the 'States that incorporates a particular type of printer that is no longer manufactured, etc etc. My problem is that I don't think they have been available here in Australia. But can they still be procured/are they still available over there? Or is there a newer better system that uses a 3M adhesive or similar? Or???
I don't mind making an investment if it is going to benefit me in the long run. How much might these options cost?
Aa ever, advice and info would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Ian 'Barra' Miller

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Custom decals
Posted by: John Britt (---.tampabay.rr.com)
Date: August 12, 2001 11:11AM

Ian I believe the system you are referring to is the Alps printer,now I can only comment on this in regards to availability in the US.The printer has been discontinued for about 2 years,although I believe the one model MD1000 is still made for sale in Japan.The only way that seems to work in getting one is thru @#$%& or other @#$%& sites.as one might surmise this can be great or a total disaster,the cost of an MD1000 has been averaging about $225 US.Plus shipping which I imagine would be very high in your case.The MD1000 is generally the lowest cost unit,if using a PC the ONLY models that will work are the MD1000-MD1300 or MD5000,you do not need the additional Dye Sub capabilities available with the more expensive units.
The only sure way of repair on a damaged unit is to return it to Alps they will replace with a refurbished unit for a set price,Plus shipping again.You might find that e bay has an Australian site,which would greatly reduce shipping charges.
Transfer materials you said you have a water slide decal paper available again a local source for material will be far better then importing.
Lastly depending on just what you wish to accomplish re decals you may need to consider optional software which can also be quite expensive when using good graphic software,if you have any questions please feel free to e mail me,much more info is available
John

Re: Custom decals
Posted by: elrod (150.199.191.---)
Date: August 13, 2001 02:33PM

Another suggestion is this. Casio makes a label maker that can be pluged into the computer to print off whatever design you desire(Font, clipart, pics etc.). The problem arises as the decal would (I believe) have to be monochrome. Casio makes about every combination of ink and backround (have gold on clear which is what I am fond of) you can imagine. The label maker is for sale on there website for around $50. Just recently discontinued for a newer model, so are selling what stock is left. At Staples, it is still $99. Anyway, if this might be an option, call Casio tech support and tell them your specific needs, they should be able to help you.
elrod

Re: Custom decals (Problem with Casio is....)
Posted by: Chris-Flying Fish (---.kja34.jaring.my)
Date: August 14, 2001 08:52PM

The problem with the Casio is the the pixel count or resolution. It is not high enough. It looks rather rough. Unless they have another higher end model that gives finer dots. Plus I believe it is only one colour at a time. But then I could be talking about another Casio, somebody pls correct me if I'm wrong.

Another thing, the Casio is not water slide based but adhesive.

BTW Ian, will you be at the Billfish Symposium next week?

Re: Custom decals (Problem with Casio is....)
Posted by: Ian 'Barra' Miller (---.shoalhaven.net.au)
Date: August 15, 2001 08:02AM

Thanks guys, I'm pretty keen to follow the Alps printer as recommended by John. Chris, unfortunately I won't be going to Cairns for the symposium. It is a long way from where I live and I also have the Sydney trade fishing tackle show this weekend. Thanks again.
Ian

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster