I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Decals and Inscriptions
Posted by: Mike Carnegie (---.ocnsd1.sdca.home.com)
Date: August 10, 2001 09:18PM

Hey Guys,

I just finished wrapping the St. Croix Ultra Legend I built for my son. I've heard mention of a particular process for applying decals and inscriptions to a rod blank. Would someone be kind enough to walk me through the process? In addition, for inscribing the the rod, I found an ultra fine gold paint pen at an art supply store that should look great against the dark green blank. Is this suitable for the task? The finish I'm using will be LS Supreme. Thanks for all of your help!

Mike

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Decals and Inscriptions
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.dialinx.net)
Date: August 11, 2001 01:15PM

The gel pen will work very well, provided your penmanship is better than mine! Don't be discouraged if it doesn't work well - some brands of these various gel pens work better than others. Keep searching for the brand that works on your blanks.

Test an inscription to make sure the finish will not cause it to smear. Most 100% solids epoxies are not a problem, but that's not to say it cannot happen. If you need a barrier, then CP (which can also smear some gel inscriptions) or something like a clear spray artist's fixative should be used.

We covered the various methods of making rod inscriptions in the May/June 1999 of RodMaker, including gel and paint pens, dry transfers and computer generated varieties. New methods are appearing all the time however.

Posted by: Brad Tharp (---.kscable.com)
Date: August 11, 2001 03:45PM

Mike,

I have used the gel pens and had to use clear polyurethane spray to coat the gel and prevent smearing. Let the spray dry completely before moving on to the epoxy finish. Worked fine for me but I know use the computer generated inscriptions, just stick on and finish over them with epoxy.

Posted by: Pete (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: August 11, 2001 08:59PM

The pen that works best for me is the Pentel brand. Although my daughter has recently come home with some offbrand variety that will write on any rod surface I have tried. It is fantastic! Of course I have only seen hers and all she uses are yellow and pink. I will have to check and see if those are available in any of the metallic colors.

Also, you will notice that in the metallic colors the shades of colors like gold and silver will vary from brand to brand. I try to keep different brands in the same color so I can easily match the color of any metallic thread I'm using. For instance, the Gudebrod HT Gold seems best matched by the gold gel pens that Pilot makes. The Pentel is a greener shade, the Pilot more yellowish gold.

Posted by: elrod (150.199.191.---)
Date: August 13, 2001 02:38PM

Zebra gel pen in gold and silver will not smear, even with Crystal coat. Just let dry thoroughly first and do not apply much pressure directly on the inscription with finish brush.
elrod

Posted by: Bob P (---.tnt3.harrisburg.pa.da.uu.net)
Date: August 14, 2001 11:31AM

I have used the Pentel gel pens in both gold and silver metallics with good results, but after making the inscription I apply heat from a hair dryer for about a minute to set it up. I've then applied LS Supreme finish with a light touch without first using color preserver, and I have not had a problem with smearing the lettering.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster