I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Guilde alignment
Posted by: Mick (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: August 10, 2001 07:07PM

In the issue of RodMaker that arrived today and on the New Products page I noticed the neat laser alignment tool Renzetti is offering for the lathe. Sounds like a winner to me. But there was no price listed and I do not see this tool and attachment on their website. Does anyone know what the price is? I have emailed them but guess they are gone for the weekend. I have so much trouble aligning my guides I just am anxious to try one of these.

Also, the magazine was a winner as usual. I get so many ideas from the photo gallery and was very impressed with Don Morton's modular handles. I hope an article on how to make something like that will be forthcoming in a future issue. Thanks.

Options: ReplyQuote
Don Morton's modular handles?
Posted by: Brad Tharp (---.kscable.com)
Date: August 11, 2001 08:44AM

Mick,

Guess I missed that article even after the third time through the magazine. Did I miss it or are you refering to the Split Grip article by Rich Forhan? Good job again Rich!

I too like the new issue as well as the previous ones and have to comment on the lazer. Much to my surprize it has been done, lazer guide alignment I mean. I started working on this a couple weeks ago and then open the new RodMaker to see Renzetti has been there, done that. Great! I'll just buy one. Thanks Tom K. and Renzetti.

Re: Guilde alignment
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.dialinx.net)
Date: August 11, 2001 08:46AM

Andy should have a price set by now. I am sure he or someone from Renzetti will get back with you early next week.

As someone who has never had much trouble with aligning guides by eye, I must say I found the tool suprisingly helpful and easy to use.

Handles
Date: August 11, 2001 08:53AM

Brad,

The modular handles are on the photo gallery pages. Don brought these with him on a trip he made to the RodMaker office earlier in the Summer.

The laser alignment idea is certainly not new, but Andy has fabricated an attachment that make fastening it to the lathe a simple, one-screw procedure. Which brings up some points that need to be made. First, most rod blanks are not straight. I found that by using enough rod supports I could get the blank on a straight path with the help of the laser. The eliptical beam is "tall" enough that it shoots over the supports so even using several of them does not interefere with the alignment beam. It is also important that your lathe bed is straight. Again, the beam helps you to do this as well. Once you make the initial adjustments to get everything straight and the beam sighting down the path you wish, it's just a matter of pressing a button.

As I said, I have no trouble aligning guides by eye, but this is a neat attachment for the lathe. I'm a tool nut so this is something I will add to my units.

Laser Beams
Posted by: Billy 40 (---.dynamic.ziplink.net)
Date: August 11, 2001 02:30PM

I seems to have problems aligning the tip and the last guide, so this may be another "goody" I can buy. Will it attach to a Clemens lathe??

Tom - I asked about making Ferrules earlier this year on Rodguild, and you told me later on this year an article would come out showing me how to do this. At the time I couldn't figure out why no one would tell me how to do it (how hard could I be I thought?). Glad I waited, because I wouldn't want Ralph typing me a 10 page E-mail. That is a great article.

Thanks, Billy

Re: Laser Beams
Posted by: John Britt (---.tampabay.rr.com)
Date: August 11, 2001 03:19PM

Sure once again my mailman got my copy and I'll have to wait for him to finish it before I can see the articles.

Re: Lasers, magazines and ferrules
Date: August 11, 2001 03:47PM

John,

The issue isn't scheduled to be delivered until the end of August so your's may not have been captured by your postman after all. I don't know why so many got them so quickly. Mine has not arrived yet and it only had to travel about 150 feet. Perhaps when they are done with it in their restroom they'll put it in my box.

As far as I know, the Laser alignment tool will fasten to the Clemens lathe as well. It just utilizes a longer bolt which is used in place of the original headstock to headstock support screw/bolt.

If you have a chance to see Ralph present his ferrule or repair information in person, do so. It is very impressive to watch him slide carefully sized pieces together and then without any adhesive see him put the section into a full flex without damage. The understanding of what materials to use and how to size and prepare them make all the difference. More of these type articles are in the works.

Custom Power Wrap
Date: August 11, 2001 03:58PM

It is also possible that the Laser Alignment tool is a direct bolt-on for the Custom Power Wrap lathe as well. I would have to measure the heastock centerline to be sure though....

Okay, I did and it will. The unit has quite a bit of leeway as far as adjustments are concerned, but the headstock on the CPW puts the tool in about the same position as on the other lathes so it's no contest - it'll work on that unit too.

I wouldn't be surprised to see all the lathe makers come out with something similar in the near future. It is a neat tool.

Re: Custom Power Wrap
Posted by: William (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: August 11, 2001 08:55PM

I got an email from Renzetti, Inc. today in response to one I had sent. It said they are revamping their entire website and it should be up soon. Maybe they'll have all the accessories on line them. It also said that some replies to emails can take as long as 5 days. I guess they are quite busy.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster