I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

About Underwraps
Posted by: Dave F. (---.ipset35.wt.net)
Date: August 06, 2001 01:42PM

I'm hoping that some of you experienced builders will help line me out on the subject of when to use, and not to use underwraps.

I think I understand the stuff concerning the added weight and splinting effect, and why you wouldn't want to use them on every type of rod, but I've also heard that underwraps are an absolute must on unfinished graphite blanks. Is this true?

Thank you very much
Dave

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: About Underwraps
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.dialinx.net)
Date: August 06, 2001 02:36PM

The case for underwraps is greatly overestimated. Yes, they add weight (but no real splinting effect contrary to popular belief). The question is, what do they add to the rod that could be considered necessary.

In the case of very heavy boat and offshore rods, they can provide some measure of a no-slip surface for the guides to reside upon. They also create a bit of a cushion for the guide feet. I would never advise anyone not to use them in these applications, although even then I suspect their use may be somewhat overrated.

On most other type rods, they are simply not needed from any functional standpoint, provided you have done a good job with your guide foot prep. This is why some manufacturers of high end, high modulus rods have advised that you should use underwraps - if the guide feet are not carefully prepped and flattened, you will have very small, concentrated areas of contact which can, under your wrapping tension, crush or compromise the thin walls on some of today's high performance blanks. Manufacturers have no way of knowing how careful each rod builder will be in this regard, so some have presented a blanket statement that all of their rods in a particular series should be underwrapped.

If the guides are properly prepped (please read the Volume 4 #3 issue of RodMaker for the particulars on this subject) then underwraps are not needed for blank protection.

In the event you want to add a bit more color, which is what many use underwraps for, consider a false underwrap that runs only between the actual guide foot wraps.

Re: That Clears that up, Thanks
Posted by: Dave F. (---.ipset35.wt.net)
Date: August 06, 2001 04:45PM

Thank you for you time. I know it must get old answering the basic questions, but it is very, very appreciated.

Dave

Underwraps
Posted by: Pete (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: August 06, 2001 09:45PM

I stopped using underwraps a few years ago and have not had any problems to date. I do make sure the undersides of my guide feet are free from burrs and as flat as I can make them. I also go easy on the thread tension.

Re: Underwraps
Posted by: Ron (---.houston.rr.com)
Date: August 13, 2001 12:36PM

All previous answers are correct in my experience. I determine wether I want or need an underwarp based on the size and diameter of the blank I am working on. Small diameter blanks look to busy and bulky with underwraps and so on. Look at the guides you are gonna use, consider the color and layout of the rod and make your decision based on that. But all in all, consider the guides you are using and how the feet will dress and mount. Be an artist and experiment - you will learn alot that way.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster