I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Choke guide
Posted by: Gerald McCasland (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: August 06, 2001 10:37AM

On a 6.6 spin blank, what size choke guide are most of you using with the concept system. Say starting with high frame 25, high frame 20, high frame 16 and then the choke guide. Will anumber 8 be to small and finish out with 7's. Bless me with your wisdom.

Thanks,
Gerald McCasland

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Choke guide
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.dialinx.net)
Date: August 06, 2001 12:45PM

It all depends upon the size line you are using, among other things. In most cases, a 6 would not be too small.

I also think that a high frame 25 would be impossible to back with a high frame 20, unless you have a very, very shallow path from the spool centerline to the intersection point. Obviously, this path will dictate what size guides and frame heights are needed. In your case, I would think the same style frame in a 16 ring is going to be better.

On thing you cannot do with the New Guide Concept, is to select guide sizes at random and then made the system adapt to them. You have to work from the other direction, plotting the path from the spool centerline to the intersection point and using those guides which will not interfere with, but will maintain that path.

I had a talk with Andy Dear this morning and we talked about frame height and where that line path needs to go within the confines of the first few guides. The preferred path is directly through the center of the guide (Don Morton sizes and places his first two guides by making sure that the line, as it revolves around the spool, just gently touches the inside of the first two guide rings in a complete 360 degree circle).

Sometimes you will find that you can't get the height to do this. In that case I place and size my guides so that the path from the spool centerline to the intersection point just touches the inside of the outer edge of each of the guide rings on its way to the intersection point.

Posted by: Don Morton (---.localaccess.net)
Date: August 07, 2001 11:59AM

Gerald, Tom gave you the best advice. I find that when I set the butt guide with the line tracing around the inside of the ring, it is almost impossible to get the line to trace around more than about two other guides. Thus, you may as well drop to the running guides and watch the line when you test cast the rod. Things that I look for are, does the line flow through the butt guide with out balloning in front of the guide, or flow to one side of the guide, and does it flow through the second butt guide with out balloning in front of it. If these conditions are met, does the line flow through the remainding guides in a straight line. If you see any of these problems adjust your guides until the line flows from the reel to the tip with out restrictions from any guide. The line will usually flow from the second butt guide to the tip without looking like it is moving.

Posted by: Clay Poindexter (---.triad.rr.com)
Date: August 08, 2001 01:23PM

I am new to this endeavour and I am hearing /reading a lot about the "concept system" but my question is- where can I find a "step by step" description. I find bits and pieces of info here but I would appreciate any referrals.
Thanks in advance,
Clay Poindexter

Step by step
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.dialinx.net)
Date: August 08, 2001 04:49PM

The July/August 2000 issue of RodMaker had the full story and the how-to. www.rodmakermagazine.com and look on the back issue page.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster