I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

single foots on spey rod?
Posted by: gary (141.211.234.---)
Date: June 18, 2001 10:37AM

Getting ready to build the spey rod. 13' 7/8 wt.
I'm thinking of doing fuji sic single foot guides in a concept type configuration. Do you pros think I will actually get better preformance with this set up than with regular snake guides? Weight is not an issue so don't use the they will weigh less. We are looking at casting distance etc.
If we do a concept set up what would you recommend for stripper guide sizes and guide sizes.
thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: single foots on spey rod?
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.dialinx.net)
Date: June 18, 2001 11:13AM

When you speak of a "concept" set-up I am assuming you are referring to dropping guide size quickly and getting down to your smallest sized running guides within the first few guides. This does reduce weight and help overall rod efficiency.

Something people tend to overlook is that fact that an efficient rod will out-cast a less efficient rod. If these guides reduce weight over what you would have had with the snakes then you will likely cast farther with them. Obviously there are secondary considerations as to guide types; the polish and slickness of the ring or frame material, whether the line is kept off the blank surface during "shooting", etc. These things affect casting performance as well, but the overall effect of weight and its relation to rod efficiency is always a major factor in this area.

I can't tell for sure without doing the necessary tests myself, but I would think you would want to use maybe a high-frame #16 to start (if you wish to try the additional butt stripper then add a #12 about 3-4 inches just past this #16), then move to high-frame #12, drop to single foot 10, 8 and then 7's on out. I'd also try using all #8 running guides to see if casting distance is affected. If the 7's give you just as much distance, I''d stay with them.

I am a big fan of ceramic ringed guides. They offer a total "package" of performance and longevity that simple metal snake guides do not. But test for yourself - taping on a set of each and casting both set-ups enough times to get a feel for which is going to work best for you. If it turns out you like the snakes better, then by all means use them. I know that this testing takes a bit of time. But it also lets you dial in the very best set-up for your needs. (10 years from now when you think back on all the pleasure this rod has given you, you'll be glad you spent a couple hours maximizing its performance.)

Hopefully, Bob Meiser will weigh in on your question. He has been building these type rods for many years and has put in the hours of testing necessary to really know what works and what doesn't.

Tom Kirkman
RodMaker Magazine

Posted by: Steve Morris (---.blm.gov)
Date: June 18, 2001 07:28PM

I used Fuji Alconites on a 13.5 7/8 Lamiglass. My objective was to maximize line shooting. My subjective opinion is that I accomplished the goal. Alconites are a viable alternative to Sic, being lighter and almost as hard, but cheeper. I started out with a #20 BMNAG, and finished up with #8 BLAGs.

Posted by: CB (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: June 18, 2001 07:33PM

The alconites are great. Nearly the performance of the SIC's but at less than a third the price. And they are much better than the hardloys.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster