I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

guides
Posted by: RON (---.dialup.mindspring.com)
Date: August 05, 2001 10:36AM

need some help got a friend who wants me to build a 5' 6" MH baitcaster rod and he wants 10 guides on it what will this do to the action? and if i build this. what size & type guides should i use ? any ideas why so many guides or is this the number of guides that would be used for the fuji concept system?

thanks R FLYNN

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: guides
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.dialinx.net)
Date: August 05, 2001 11:06AM

The action will not change regardless of how many guides you put on it. However, the more weight you add, the less efficient the rod will be. It will dampen more slowly, not cast as far and the overall balance may be a bit off. This is probably what you were referring to anyway.

When I was in the business, I often had customers ask me how many guides I was going to use on their rod. My answer was always the same - I will use the exact number that is required, no more, and no less.

On one hand more guides is better - having more of them will distribute stress over the blank more equally. On the other hand, less guides is better - fewer guides equals less weight which translate to better rod performance/efficiency.

Most of the time, the number of guides is a compromise. You need enough to properly distribute stress and yet not so many as to undermine rod efficiency. Luckily, the newer guides available today are so much lighter than ever before so we can get away with using maybe one or two more than we might have previously and still reduce overall weight to some extent.

The very best set-up in your case would likely be a spiral wrap. That would allow you to cut down on the number of guides and also use the smallest and lightest guides possible without any danger of the line contacting the blank under load. I can't tell you how many you would need without having the blank and reel here in my hands, but I do think 10 would be excessive, whether you use a spiral wrap or the more common guides-on-top scenario.

How much does your friend know about rod building? Is he/she just wanting 10 guides because of something he has heard or read? As the rod builder, you may wish to gently steer him to whatever number of guides would be the best overall for that particular rod.

Posted by: Dorge (---.il.sprintbbd.net)
Date: August 05, 2001 03:17PM

The only type of baitcasting rod that have so many guide I know of are the sea bream rods. By the way what weight are the rod and
what action are the blank. I do own a sea bream rod by Gamakatsu that is 5'6" but have a total of 19 guides. The spacing
between the tip and the first guide is 0.4 in. But the tip is 0.35mm in diameter. If you do intend to get rod like that, I really do not recommended you use new concept guides, they are way too heavy for this use. 0.15mm Titanium, or hard crome wire loop will be the only choice.

But if you are looking into an ordinary bait casting rod, 10 do sound excessive. My general rule is length in length of rod in feet plus one... That's said, your rod action, line, and fishing style have a lot more to do with then just how many. May be clue us on which blank, what reel, what line, and your fishing style, target speciman and place of fish so we can be of better assistance.

Good fishing (catching) <*)))))))><{

Posted by: Pete (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: August 05, 2001 07:57PM

I have to agree with Dorge and Tom that 10 guides seems excessive. Even if you use the lower frame fly type single foots I think you could do it with about 7 or 8 tops! Ordinarily I think I use about 6 on a 5'6" casting rod with guides on the top.

Your friend may be reacting to something he read or was told by another fisherman. I'd try to steer him away from the 10 guide deal. If you build it and he doesn't like it, you will be the one he will blame. Well, probably anyway.

Posted by: Lee Parsons (---.grlnd1.tx.home.com)
Date: August 05, 2001 09:16PM

I have to agree with everyone else on this one, 10 is to many. I don't know how heavy of a rod your building for him, but I just finished a Loomis 662 which is a 5'6" and it needed 7 guides, the one I built earlier this year took 6 on the same blank. Let the blank tell you how many guides it wants when you test it.

Posted by: Rich Garbowski (---.voyageur.ca)
Date: August 07, 2001 12:00PM

Ron,
I've done 9 guides and the top on 7' spiral wrap worked out great for the particular application and cast like a dream using TiGold guides. More generally on conventional setup would be similar to what Dorge or Tom suggest. For a 6 ft. rod probably no more than seven should do, even with the concept system.

Just a note regarding some manufacturers of factory rods will advertise 10 guides as a selling point. I guess the more guides the better will justify their price, or something like that.
Although, I have seen a couple of baitcasters from factory with a 10 guide setup and cast just fine. Can't really remember the name brands, was fitted with an Abu tournament low profile reel. It's the exception rather than the rule IMHO.

A good suggestion for building someone a rod insisting on their recommendations ask for the reasons and if your lesser number guide custom rod is as good or better, than why bother with the extras. Explain that important tip guide spacing for the top is essential and the remainder will adequately support the blank which can be verified with stress distribution. As most rodbuilders would agree also that the butt guide distance to the reel seat should be within a suitable range for the length of rod. The guides in between are distributed for function and less weight using fewer guides makes sense. If you plan to use the high number of guiedes always consider the smallest you can get away with for weight reduction, most especially as you get nearer the tip.

Rich
Solyrich Custom Rods

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster