I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Another Question from the RD
Posted by: Warren (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: August 04, 2001 01:57PM

RD=resident dummie ! What kind of experiences have you-all had with "pre-loading"rod tips? At least thats what I call it. What I mean is getting a blank to cast a lighter weight more effectively(ie less effort) by adding weight to the rod tip. I've done it a number of times with glass rods that had some inside diameter at the tip by heating and shaping a piece of lead to glue inside the blank at the tip making sure not to have the weight any longer than the tip top tube. With graphite, graphite composites, S & E glass I'm not sure I can get a piece of lead heavy enough to make a difference and still not exceed the tip top tube length because of the smaller diameters. Does any one have any thoughts and/or experience with this?
I really don't know that not exceeding the TT tube length matters I just don't like to do it.
Before you ask; no I've never had a tip or blank failure on rods that I've done this to. Lucky? Maybe! All I know is "no failures". Warren

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: You talking flyrods or ??
Posted by: Lee Ackart (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: August 04, 2001 07:28PM

Warren,
I have done it just once and it worked fine. I wanted to "loosen" up a Fenwick six and one half foot Musky blank so it would cast lighter lures, but I would still have great strength in the butt to move a fish away from snags. I wrapped lead wire (used in weighting flys) around the tip just "buttward" of the tip guide. After test casting to see if I had the desired effect, I wrapped the wire with thread as near the color of the blank as I could find. This was followed by as many coats of Flexcoat as necessary to achieve a smooth finish. How much wire to use is a matter of trial and error. Be aware that you can't get too big a "hump" or it will interfere with the flow of the line. As I said, I used lead fly tying wire, which comes in two or three diameters, but I suppose solder would work too. Solder might be cheaper, and is certainly more readily available.

blanks
Posted by: William (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: August 04, 2001 07:33PM

I think I would just get another blank. If you add weight to preload it then it might cast lighter lures better but you will have removed it's ability to cast the rated lure weight at the upper end. Seems that it would be more practical and would perform better to just have the proper blank for the job.

Re: blanks
Posted by: Brad Tharp (---.kscable.com)
Date: August 05, 2001 11:00AM

Warren, I have heard of doing this on bass rods for jerk baits. Theory was that by adding lead to the tip you could reduce wrist and arm fatigue because the weight would make the tip snap more with less jerking action being applied. Anglers also felt they gained a couple more feet depth with the lure due to the snapping action of the tip. I have not tried it but thought I might by using soldering wire and pounding it flat as possible, then bend it around the blank tip and coat like Lee describes.

I figured if a customer wants it done I will do so with full understanding that the rod has NO warranty with such alteration.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster