I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

feather inlay directions
Posted by: Bruce A. Tomaselli (---.dioceseaj.org)
Date: April 12, 2005 09:54AM

I can't locate the directions for inlaying feathers on a rod blank. Can someone re-post them? Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: feather inlay directions
Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.nccray.com)
Date: April 12, 2005 10:13AM

Posted by: Robert Box (---.adt.com)
Date: April 12, 2005 10:18AM

Page 1 of2
Kate Davidson
To: "Kate Davidson" <[email protected]>
Sent: Saturday, November 30, 2002 8:36 AM
Subject: Language for Siskiyou Aviary's Seminar section : feather inlays
One of the most effective ways to add a genuinely unique look to your own custom built rod is to personalize it with feather inlays. This is a very simple process, and once you have mastered the basic skills of inlaying a single feather, you will be well on your way to creating your own feather weaves and designs. The following step by step photos and accompanying language should help you master the feather inlay process.
1. Preparing the blank for the inlay is important, as the blank surface may have factory release agents, hand oils, or any variety of contaminants not compatible with epoxies. Thoroughly wipe the blank down with isopropyl alcohol prior to doing any inlays or thread work. No additional preparation is required.
2. For a number of reasons, the choice of feather is also very important. For the sake of
simplicity in explaining the inlay process, I will use a single Jungle Cock Eye feather. They are readily available from most well stocked fly shops in packets of 10 or 12. They will be free of natural oils, and the quality is generally quite good for a reasonable price.
3. I will always use an acrylic based color preservative to set the feathers on the blank prior to epoxy. I prefer to use Guderod 811 color preservative for the following reasons : A. It is crystal clear from the bottle. This allows easy viewing of the feather while placing it on the blank. B. The Guderod can be cut with Isopropyl alcohol to thin it. The thinned C.P. allows full saturation of the feather, and minimizes trapped ah" within the feather's fibers. (This truly becomes an issue when weaving multiple layers of feathers.) I will generally cut my Guderod with approximately 25% to 30% Iso. This will give it a near water hike consistency, perfect for fully penetrating the feather fibers. The Iso. also allows a relatively rapid, but manageable working and curing tune for the C.P. The Guderod will be cured and ready to epoxy within 4 hours air drying time at room temperatures. C. If for some reason, you do not like the look of your feather inlay after curing, you can easily remove it by re-wetting the entire inlay with straight Iso., wipe it clean, and re-do it. No worries !
4. I will completely saturate the feather in the C.P. prior to placing it on the blank. To do this, I will fill the bottom of a Tablespoon size stainless steel measuring spoon with the Guderod. Dip the entire length of the feather in the C.P., and pick it up for placement utilizing a small stiff bristled hobby brush. The feather is placed on the blank to it's approximate final location, and then adjusted to it's final location by nudging it into place with the bristles of the brush. In order to adjust each feather filament into it's proper location, you may have to flood the entire feather, and actually float the fibers into their best location. Once you have the feather placed and arranged exactly where you want it, leave it alone, and set the rod section on a horizontal plane and allow to dry. The C.P. will evaporate, and leave the feather perfectly arranged as placed. To center the feather correctly on the blank, mount the reel. With the reel seated in place, it will automatically locate the blanks center radius.
5. After the inlay is dry, you are ready for your first coat of epoxy coverage. Like the C.P., the epoxy should be applied in such a manner that it will flood the entire inlay.

Pg 2

a stiff bristled hobby brush. With the rod turning, place the brush bristles against the rod at the top of the inlay, and evenly progress down the inlay. The excess epoxy will accumulate, and occasionally drop from the brush as you progress. Leave just enough epoxy behind to very thinly cover the inlay. 'Hie feather (especially multiple feathers) will generate lots of bubbles in your epoxy. Leaving the first coat of epoxy coverage very thin will minimize this problem, but some will appear never the less. Now is the time to remove them. This can be done by lightly brushing the inlay with the grain as it turns. For this, I will use the same type of hobby brush as mentioned earlier. Watch the inlay for a few minutes, if more bubbles appear, brush it again with the grain.. .Repeat as needed. Allow the epoxy covered inlay to turn and dry for 24 hours, and re-coat as needed. Following coats will not generate nearly as many bubbles. The heavier feather weaves will often require 3 or 4 coats of coverage, a single feather will generally require only 2 coats.
6. The inlay can be placed directly to the blank, or it can be applied to a thread background. I will often background the inlay with an opaque thread color that will enhance the color scheme of the feathers. The feathers are placed directly onto the thread, and covered with C.P. in the described fashion, making sure that all of the thread is FULLY saturated as well. This may require two coats of C.P. coverage over the entire inlay and thread area. With the Guderod mixture as described, you will need to wait at least 4 hours between coats.
if you follow these recommendations carefully, 1 absolutely guarantee that you will be on your way to creating your own beautiful feather inlays. 1 have used this process to inlay literally hundreds of rods.
As with all things within the crafts, practice make perfect... Practice, Practice, Practice I Experiment with various feathers, and thread combinations. Be creative, and most importantly: Have Fun II!
If you find that you may require moral support, feel free to contact me. I am usually found in my shop building rods, if not... Fm out fishing!
Bob Meiser.. .R.B. Meiser Fly Rods

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: April 12, 2005 11:08AM

The definitive article on all aspects of feather inlays appeared in the Jan/Feb 1999 issue of RodMaker Magazine. It was written by Russ Gooding.

You may be able to do just fine with the instructions above. If you need further info, you can consult the back issue of the magazine.

Posted by: Bruce A. Tomaselli (---.dioceseaj.org)
Date: April 12, 2005 11:15AM

Thanks, Tom! And to all!

Posted by: Adam Hoelper (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: April 12, 2005 11:39AM

A couple of weeks ago I posted the question on feather inlay. The directions and replies to my post were very helpful. I was very pleased with how the inlay turned out for the first try. Thank you to all who offered advice

Adam

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster