I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Ice rods for Lake Trout!
Posted by: Matt Davis (206.8.166.---)
Date: August 01, 2001 07:49AM

I have several questions.

Every year in early to mid January I take a trip to NW Ontario to fish Lake Trout through the ice. We travel with snowmobiles and tow flip-over style houses. I like to fish outside but all too often it is too cold to do that for extended periods. I'd like to get a few rods built for this trip. I'd like to build at least one new rod and possibly modify two standard "softwater" rods that I already have that I have broken. I've fished rods before from about 30 inches to 60 inches. And while I like a longer rod for jigging I really dislike trying to land a fish on that long of a rod. It needs to be short enough that I can still see down the hole to steer the fish up the hole. With a 5 foot rod I'm just too far away from the hole to see what the fish is doing. And for fishing inside the house 36 inches is about the maximum length. The fish average about 6 pounds with at least one 10 pounder caught a year with the potential for a 20.

1) For you blank suppliers: Is it possible to buy damaged blanks for a reasonable price? Maybe the first 36 - 48 inches of a medium heavy spinning rod blank? Or the tip section of a 10 - 12 weight fly rod? Or pull a section out of the middle of a blank? Any suggestions?

2) What is the best way to cut blanks to desired lengths?

3) The two rods I am considering modifying are both Berkley rods. A 6' Series One baitcaster that has lost the first 6 inches of the tip. And a 6' 2" Gary Roach Signature spinning rod that has lost 12 inches of the tip. I've been considering removing all the guides. Cutting the blank right at the foregrip. Shortening to the length I want. Then inserting that back into the handle. Thoughts? Is this a totally crazy idea?

Thanks for any input!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Ice rods for Lake Trout!
Posted by: Scott (---.albany.thebiz.net)
Date: August 01, 2001 09:22AM

Matt,
Ice blanks are really inexpensive compared to regular blanks.
We carry a selection of blanks, components & grips for building
ice rods. Scott-- Merrick Tackle.

Re: Ice rods for Lake Trout!
Posted by: Buzz B (216.114.19.---)
Date: August 01, 2001 09:45AM

Matt,
See my long reply on the Guilde page.

Buzz

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster