I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

concept question
Posted by: olt (4.40.159.---)
Date: July 30, 2001 09:29AM

Taking a whirl at Fuji concept guides system on a 7 ft flipping stick. (Bait caster). I have used the fly type alconite guides for the last 5 guides. Under stress the line runs very close to the blank. Is this normal or do I need more guides? I have a total of 9 as is.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: concept question
Posted by: Steve (---.mobile1.al.home.com)
Date: July 30, 2001 11:19AM

I did just about the same thing. I used ten guides on a 6'6 G-USA blank. Here's the guides I used: BLNAG12J, BLNAG10J ,BUNAG8J , BUNAG7J, BLAG7J, BLAG7J and BLAG6J (4 ea). May sound like overkill but the line is an equall distance from the blank till the stripper guides and it doesn't touch anywhere. You may want to consider the spiral wrap. I just finished a bass rod the conventional way and then started another rod with the spiral wrap. The spiral wrap out casted the conventional rod by about 20-30 feet. Check into it. Do a search of the archives to find some info on "spiral wrap".

Good luck,
Steve

Posted by: Don Morton (---.localaccess.net)
Date: July 30, 2001 12:41PM

I agree with Steve, give the spiral wrap a try and you won't have to worry about the line touching the rod and I find it cast much better. The spiral wrap will also stabilize your rod. The rod will not twist and the reel will jump up on the top of your rod when you start to reel or put any pressure on the rod.

Posted by: Rich Forhan (---.stockton.navipath.net)
Date: July 30, 2001 04:35PM

Steve and Don have pointed you in the right direction - the spiral wrap for baitcasting Flip stiks. 9 Alconite guides are excellent. Take a look at some of the back issues of RodMaker for some ideas on the spiral wrap.

I build a LOT of 7 1/2 and 8 ft flip stiks for tournament competitors and this is one area where the spiral wrap cannot be approached by eyes up rods. A spiral wrap on a Flip stik gives the angler instant control of the fish and stability - not a big deal - unless flipiin'/ pitchin' is a big deal to the angler. I use 9 guides and a tip guide on both the 7 1/2 and 8 ft rods as well as 7 ft rods. The long rods collapse into the handle and determine where the first guide will go - unless you use a left crank reel and hold the rod in your right hand. In this case, I use a Power Guide (Fuji BYAG 16J) placed 7-8 inches above the reel eye and used to keep the line away from the handles on each Flip sequence.

If I managed to confuse you about the Power Guide - email me for more info. I've been flippin' since 1975 (learned from Dee Thomas) and building Revolver Rods for Flippin' , etc. since 1996.

Posted by: Chris-Flying Fish (---.jaring.my)
Date: July 30, 2001 09:13PM

If you do intend to build it conventional, having the line very close to the blank is OK, close is not touching the blank.

Posted by: Brad Tharp (---.kscable.com)
Date: July 31, 2001 09:55AM

If you do build conventional, at least the line and guides are closer in relationship to the beam therefore reducing torque on the blank. But for optimum performance go spiral or as I prefer Revolver style.

Hey Rich, glad to see you made it over to the board.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster